It turns out I really like moving holiday's around to fit my own convenience - maybe that will be our family tradition - holidays when we want them. So in fitting with our now new tradition I, again, moved Mother's Day to Saturday. It just makes sense. Sunday's are anything but "restful" around here and as much as Jason would be willing to try I like things done a certain way on Sunday to make sure we can make it out of the house in time for church, looking the way (girl's hair) I want them to look, and with the ability to make it through the next three hours as happily as possible. So... I asked for a restful Mother's Day on Saturday. And boy did my family deliver.
I slept in until 8:30 - and stayed up in our room and showered and got ready and did my reading all before even coming downstairs. This was around 9:45. Jason had made my favorite breakfast: milk mush. This meal is hard to master and he has had trouble in the past. It has some difficult key ingredients that he has often forgotten AND it is really really easy to burn. But I am happy to report after 8 years of making it twice a year (Mother's Day and my birthday) he got it perfect. He had all the right ingredients and didn't burn it. It was wonderful (the years of burnt ones were wonderful too, honey).
Then the kids gave me their cards. Noah's made me especially happy. If you can't tell it says, "hapee Mufors day". I hadn't realized that he pronounces it that way - but he does. The stage of phonetic spelling is so fun!
Then inside the card was this picture. At first I thought 2 things 1)He is asking for a dog - they have been asking lately and was trying to slip some propaganda into my Mother's day card or 2) They used to draw Madison like this when she was crawling and he did it out of habit. Turns out I was wrong about both. I am the ones on my hands and knees (when he said that I quickly assumed I was scrubbing a floor or cleaning up a mess - wrong again) I am playing "tiger" with the family and I am the tiger. Now "tiger" is a game my kids LOVE to play and I kind of hate it. I put if off as long as possible. It is me crawling around like a tiger growling and attacking them. I hate it for one reason mainly - it always ends in several of them crying or throwing fits. I either didn't chase them enough or I chased them too much, or I hurt them, or I am not growling loud enough, or they want me on my hands and knees more, and no matter how long we play they are mad when we stop. But Noah loves playing and asks at least 3 times a day. So this card made me smile because I took it as he remembers the times I DO play and he loves those.
Back to Mother's Day: Then we had Brock's soccer game and then two birthday parties for the boy's to attend. I took a bike ride with Brock while the girls napped; while during the day Jason mowed the lawn and did all the laundry. Jason made a wonderful dinner (salmon - he is the best Salmon cooker) and then him and the kids made me chocolate dipped strawberries for dessert. I had one with the kids before bed and then I ate 15 while I watched New Girl and The Middle in bed.
It was a glorious and restful Mother's Day. Now today (Sunday) I am actually at home with sick girls while the boys are at church (I missed the Sacrament singing - SO SAD) and then we are off to my mom's for dinner.


No comments:
Post a Comment