Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Thursday, February 4, 2021

Come follow me

We had a wild year with Come Follow Me.  It seemed we changed the way we did things about 3 or 4 times.  Mostly because our year changed so much.  We started out with a normal year and me in my first trimester of pregnancy.  The kids know the Book of Mormon and we had just finished it as a family for the third time.  So Jason and I thought it best to focus on learning the scriptures for themselves rather than the stories. So we read solo for 10 minutes and then shared what we read.  This sort of worked for some of the kids.  Madison was too young - she didn't know how to read and get something out of it.  Noah wasn't willing to really try.  So I took them into our room and studied with them for the 10 minutes then we came back with the family and shared something.  That worked for a while.  But something was still missing.  I felt like they weren't really studying or trying.  Just reading enough to have something to share.  So then we switched to reading out loud together.  Intentions were good (mine and Jason's) but we just couldn't deliver.  We were supposed to read and stop and use the manual or teach principles as we went.  But at this point Eve was born and I was rarely at scripture study and Jason was tired and every night just turned into reading a chapter and going to bed. WE limped along for a few months then in October  I received inspiration about what we needed to do.  It is a combination of everything.  It has worked wonderfully and it is what we are still doing for Doctrine and Covenants.  
Sunday: We review the last week and give and intro to this week.  We read chapter headings, talk about timelines, read the intro paragraph in the manual and the headings of each CFM section.

Monday: We read 10 minutes with our manuals out and encourage them to use the manual and write in it then we share what we learned or felt.

Tuesday: Family Home Evening

Wednesday: Jason teaches us a lesson from the reading.  Sometimes it is a lesson, sometimes it is "how to study the scriptures" like we read and Jason shows what he would do in his own study.  The kids have loved this and it has really changed the way they study their scriptures during their 10 minutes.

Thursday: We read 10 minutes with our manuals out and encourage them to use the manual and write in it then we share what we learned or felt.

Friday: I teach a lesson.  Jason doesn't use manuals so I try to do a lesson by showing them how to use the manual in their own study. 

Saturday: We read a chapter (or section) together as a family.  We felt like we still want our kids to read the scriptures aloud.

The kids' manuals turned out really great by the end of the year.  It doesn't seem prudent to keep them, so I took a few pictures and then recycled them.  Here are some examples.  A lot of comics were drawn.








 

No comments: