I thought I would do one that reveled something about myself- rather than just Brock. (I still exist as a separate person... I think anyways??)
My thought for the week is... What is blogging??
At first I did it to keep up with family, old friends, and my ward friends that are moving to all ends of the country.
Then I thought, "Blogging is nigh unto journalling" - right? Can I really pass off my blogging as a righteous endeavor, am I keeping my family history? I have decided... yes. I'm going to print them off and keep a hard copy - now I can claim to keep a family history. yea!
But as with everything - opposition in all things. I have discovered the negative to blogging. I think we all want to post our "best selves", our vacations, beautiful houses, fun trips, cute babies, and brag about our wonderful lives. And while that is all well and good - I find myself thinking that every one's lives are glamorous and mine is...well...not. I find myself being envious and thinking, "if we just had more money" or "if we moved" or "if we were older".
So there you go. My thoughts on blogging. I think it is wonderful and fun- as long as I keep it in perspective, and count my blessings everyday.
If you have any insight - please leave a comment - I would hope I am not the only one with internal struggles.
(oh yea - it has improved my typing skills) :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Amen sister! You can totally count this as personal history. I think. Ha! And amen about people's fake glamour. We're all in the same boat, and we all try to look like we're in a different same boat. I'd rather have my problems than someone else's, even if I don't know what they are because they have a perfect blog, and therefore, a perfect life. (Sarcasm.) I love keeping up with everyone on blogging though because #1, I know that everyone's alive and well in spite of the fact that we haven't talked in ages; and #2, it is the perfect venue for posting all of those beautiful baby/family pictures. I haven't been writing on my blog enough lately because our digital camera is broken, and I know that everyone would rather just look at a few pictures instead of read a mammoth posting like this has turned out to be. I love you Jamie! Thanks for blogging.
Your fan,
Emma/Emily/Whatever you call me
I think you have a good point that we blog about the exciting and glamorous things going on, not just the everyday mundane things. I sometimes think that I want to post on my blog, but then I don't because "I don't have anything to write about". Thanks for the reminder to keep it real!
I actually always think your life looks more exciting than mine. I guess we all have that complex ;)
if you have read mine you see that i complain. yes i do use it to vent- so i am afraid that my postarity will think i was onery and pessimistic. oh well- i try every once in a while to put some happiness in it! :) but i like it- it helps me see what it happening! :)
Consider yourself lucky that you have time for inner struggles. I'm jealous that you have time to ponder on journaling and family history. I'm so busy! All I think about is work--mainly :(, what we're going to eat, and all the mundane, unimportant things in my life!! Boo Hoo :( I love blogging because I like to see what's going on in everyone's lives now that I moved!! I read your blog and get jealous that you go to Sundance and the park with Brock and other mommies! I love you Jamie! I think you have a great life!
hey jamie! it's funny that you mentioned this whole "blog passing off as a journal/family history" thing because i've been contemplating creating a blog for that very purpose! so your blog is an inspiration!!
secondly, your life is CERTAINLY not dull!
thirdly, (and this is going to sound awfully nerdy/stalkerish of me) I love reading your blogs! haha, every week I'm like "ooh! i wonder if jamie put more pictures of brock up or if she updated her blog!" haha, it's sad and maybe a little stalker-like but true! I even was bugging matt everyday for the past 2 weeks to go online and look at your blog pics, because they were so cute! i LOVE looking at the pictures you put of brock and everybody on there, and like i said, it's what motivated me to finally succomb to the BLOG and decide that maybe i, too, should be a blogger!
so see? your blog does so many amazing things already! and i think you were wise to recognize that people normally only put exciting things on their blogs because they feel "why bore others with the mundane things of my life?" which is what would cause a skewed perspective.
anyways, time to sleep. have a great night! love and miss you!
oh, PS- the last blog was by me, janina. it posted as "anonymous" and i forgot to add my name at the end of the comment.
(PPS - i accidentally spelled "succumb" wrong in my first comment - it should be "succumb" not, "succomb", like i spelled it there. haha, i know it's nerdy of me, but i can't help myself! ok this is my last comment - PROMISE! love you!) *janina
Post a Comment