It is amazing how much has changed in having babies and babies in general over the last 7 years. It is really unbelievable. From pregnancy announcements, gender reveals, cute monthly pictures with them holding their number month, to the new inventions that have come out - it is like a whole different world. From my perspective - someone who is, by pure definition, a Millennial (Born after 1980) but by traits I am ANYTHING but (I tell people - it is hard to identify as a Millennial when, by 25 I had 3 kids, owned a home, in the market for a mini-van, and didn't get my first smart phone until I was 31) - I feel like I see, not only the ridiculousness of all the "reveal" moments in life being videoed and posted - but also the real dangers. Despite some prodding by well intentioned friends and family members I had decided I was not doing a gender reveal. Jason and I would go to the ultra sound - they would tell us what the sex was, then we would come home, tell our kids, then we would call friends and family and tell them.
The morning of the doctor appointment we were reading scriptures and talking about our day (the doctor appointment) and the kids said, "what are we doing for the gender reveal?" What? How do they know about gender reveals? I found out they heard about them from America's Funnies Home Videos. I tried to explain to them why we weren't doing one (without sounding too prideful or pretentious) but in the end their excitement for the new baby and a gender reveal warmed my mother heart and I relented. But here I was - 2 hours to our appointment and now I needed to plan a gender reveal!
One of my good friends, Hannah, had offered to make a cake a few months back - I told her I was against gender reveals. I swallowed my pride and called her. I knew it was too short notice to make a cake - but I figured I could hurry and make cupcakes and frosting and then I could text her from the Dr office and by the time we got home she could at least color the frosting and frost them. Well... because Hannah is awesome she said no - I will make you a cake with the gender inside. We fought about it for a few minutes - but ultimately her kindness won - I still don't understand how she did it in 2 hours.
AND it was so cute - so so cute. I was overwhelmed with her kindness and generosity.
We got home and gathered the kids.
Jason took all the pictures (and a video)
It is a boy! We have been wanting another boy for 10 years - so we are very excited! I was surprised how disappointed the girls were - especially Megan. I mean, I knew she wanted a girl - but I didn't know she DIDN'T WANT a boy. She was pretty upset for about a week - and still isn't thrilled about the whole thing. She insists girls are cuter and litter brothers are annoying.










No comments:
Post a Comment