What I posted on Facebook about our trip:
We went on what seemed like a pilgrimage a few weeks ago. Jason (who LOVES the Old Testament) found out that our friend's stake up in Boise built a to-scale model of the Tabernacle from Moses' day. We left for Boise 10 hours later (Dane and I flew and Jason drove the kids for the 12 hour drive!!!). It was perfect becasue I had been needing some Karli Bell time for a few years. She always puts things in perspective for me and I leave feeling able to conquer the world. They were SO GRACIOUS to take in 7 people with 10 hours notice and on their last week of summer. It was a perfect family vacation. And the Tabernacle was WAY cool.
For a little more detail:
We hadn't taken a family vacation at all since right before Dane was born. We told the kids we would do SOMETHING. But Jason and I weren't sure what that something was. On Sunday afternoon Karli sent me and email thinking that Jason would find it interesting that their stake built a life size replica of the Tabernacle. I showed it to him and he said, "I want to go see it". We were joking at first but 10 or so minutes into the conversation we realized it was a perfect week to leave (Jason was in between semesters, summer sports just ended and fall sports hadn't started). The problem: Dane. Jason GRACIOUSLY offered to fly Dane and I and he would drive the other kids the TWELVE hours. Um... he is the best. Last problem: Could Karli have us? I am sure it was much more of an inconvenience then she let on - but Karli likes to pretend that nothing bothers her. So of course she said we could come. It was their last week of summer, so i am sure they had plans- but they dropped them all so we could come!
I absolutely love Karli. It is good for my soul to spend a few days with her every few years. She helps me realign my goals and helps put into perspective if I am really doing the things in the short term that I want in the long term (basically sewing and reaping). Plus she is hilarious and I laugh more with her than anyone else.
It was expensive and inconvenient to buy a ticket to Boise with only 12 hours notice. There were several problems along the way and Jason couldn't secure us a ticket until 1:00 in the morning and then had to drive Dane and I to the airport at 3:00 in the morning. Then he slept until 10 am and then Drove the kids to Boise. Dane slept the whole way to the airport and then, of course, woke up when I had to take him out for security.
Dane was great on the airplane. He slept for some of it, ate for some of it, and was adorable for the rest of it. We had a layover in Salt Lake and I was able to put him in my wrap and we both slept for the whole flight to Boise.
It was awesome to fly while the rest drove becasue I got a whole day with just Karli on the front end and the back end. Dane quickly fell in love with their dog and all of their kids.
It was also Karli's birthday while we were there. She pulled the kids out of school and Sklyer took the day off of work and we went boating. The kids got to tube and knee board and Karli and I got to SKI!!
They also have kayaks that we got to play around with.
Brooklyn (11), Lydia (9), Madison (8), Hailey (6), Caleb (4), Megan (9), Payton (13), Brock (12), Dane (8 months), Noah (11)
Karli had to work one day so that was our "family day" that we went to go see the tabernacle. I absolutely loved it. I think the kids learned a lot and it was really good for them. Jason was a little unimpressed. There were some details they left out (veil made of wool, wall or rings, etc) that he really wanted to see. I loved seeing all of the symbolism for Jesus Christ - it really came alive for me in a way it never had. We all agreed it was worth it though.
One of my favorite things about my kids is that they love to ask questions and learn things. They cared a lot about everything they saw and wanted to know what it was all for. They get that from their father (it is one of the things I love about him too)
I had to get a picture with just Jason and the tabernacle since he is the reason we came. I love his intense love for the scriptures. He loves the Old Testament and gets so excited about the symbolism involved.
Another day we went to a river in Boise that has a great beach.
Dane was the hit of the trip for everyone. Karli's kids really loved having him around and Dane loved being the center of attention of even MORE kids.
We also just hung around the house and played a lot. These are probably all of our favorite memories.
Brock, Payton and Brooke went and did baptisms at the Meridian Temple.
The Bells are the Kings of board games. We played several everyday. I don't love board games but I want my kids too. They had a few that I even really enjoyed.
The day my family left Karli and I got to go out while Sky watched all the kids (including Dane)(well... I think Lydia mostly watched him). We went to my favorite restaurant, Wingers, and then browsed Karli's favorite store - The DI. We never took a picture together becasue we never had a day where we both got ready and put on make-up - I kept thinking, "when we go out to dinner we will both get ready and then I will take a picture of us then"... but we didn't both get ready. Weird that having 10 kids under 13 and we can't manage to put on some makeup. Ha

















































No comments:
Post a Comment