Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Wednesday, November 20, 2024

What is summer without charts???

This was our least "chart-y" summer.  Since we went on our road trip just about 12 hours after school got out and then right when we got back from the the older kids headed out for youth conference, then right when they got home Daniel and Angie's kids came, then all the other church camps.... so basically we didn't have a regular routine or "we are all home" kind of summer until July.

Essentially the first week of July or so I sat down with each kid and asked them what their personal summer schedule looked like, what their goals were and then after each talk I made a chart for each child.  It worked well except for Maddie.  Which is fine, she is the youngest.  Her plans were "I don't know, do what ever, hang out with my friends"  Great - she didnt need a social goal.  But I had to write in a few things for her.  I just wanted to try and teach them to how to hold themselves accountable for their own life trajectory and goals.  Through July we had this weekly, erasable chart, but there weren't any rewards or consequences, just to help them stay on track.  It didn't work great - but i think it at least kept everyone accountable to come things.




But for the last 4 weeks of summer I made one chart for each kid that could be tracked each day.  In theory we were going to have a competition and everyone who had, lets say, 80% of their check marks by the end of the summer were going to get some reward.  But over half of us left the last week of summer and then it was a frenzy for school to start and we all forgot.  But I liked the premise, I might use it for next year.




 

No comments: