Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

An exciting development

Background Info: Jason and I have been licensed Foster parents for the past 2 years. Unfortunately we have been unable to take any placements because I keep getting pregnant :). (You have to be able to make a one year commitment and they don't like you to have a brand new baby in the home when there is a placement for adjustment purposes, so we were never "eligible" for a placement). Regardless, we have felt very strongly about foster care and have wanted to be involved and know that one day - when the timing is right - we will take placements.

While We were going through the training I heard about Peer Parenting and wanted to do it "one day". I thought when my kids were all grown and gone would be the perfect time because then I would be "experienced" and have "something to offer".

More Background info: Peer Parenting is a program designed to help families who have either just been reunified, working towards reunification, or on the verge of removal. It is usually court ordered. The Peer Parent goes into the home and works with the parents (usually just the mom) on parenting skills, budgeting, shopping, nutrition, discipline, cleaning, whatever is needed.

Anyways, Peer Parenting has been coming to my mind a lot lately so on Monday I called to inquire - on Tuesday I went to a training course, today I got certified, and I will get my first case sometime next week. I will take on case at a time and work with her for a few months. I am SO EXCITED. While Jason and I were going through the Foster Care training we felt the spirit so strong at all of the meetings, trainings, and cluster groups. We have always felt sad that we have been unable to take placements, even though we knew the timing just was not right in our lives. But I felt the exact same feelings at the training on Tuesday. I get this feeling of, "this is what you are supposed to be doing." I see a vision of the woman I am supposed to be - it is awsome!

I was nervous about being young and with young children, I felt like some of the moms would think, "who is SHE to tell ME how to raise my kids?" But they will pair us up with common life circumstances - they get a lot of young moms with young kids. I will take Brock with me and we can meet at the park, the pool, the grocery store, where ever - they say young moms are the best because the mom's will learn from our example.

For confidentiality purposed I will not be able to talk specifically about my cases - but I will keep you all updated on my feelings as I start this new adventure. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

That is so cool, Jamie. You will be awesome.

Nick and Tiffany said...

Jamie, of all the people I know you are the best suited for this type of thing. I'm so excited for you! And I want you to know that you are such a great example to me and all those around you. Best wishes to you and your family.

Paige said...

jamie, That is so amazing! I am impressed you guys are involved in Peer Parenting and Foster care. I look forward to hearing how it goes for you. I know you can't tell the details, but I want to hear how it goes!
About your pregnance - Congratulations! You will be in our prayers! I hope the bedrest doesn't last too long and you can go full term!
Paige