Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Fast sunday

I love traditions.  My family is heavy into traditions and I love that.  We have sevral for our little family - but nothing makes you think more about traditions than moving away from all your family.
 
Since I have been pregnant and breast feeding for the last 5/6 years Fast Sunday has not really been a thing in our home.  I DO know that is a lame excuse - but it is also truthful.  I have been trying to deicde how to make fast sunday more meaningful in our family with such young children.  Jason came up with a tradition that a family from his childhood did - and I loved it.  We eat a big breakfast for dinner every fast Sunday.  The kids eat all day (Brock and Noah have decided they want to try fasting next month) - but in the morning we remind them mom and dad aren't eating because it is Fast Sunday and that we are going to have breakfast for dinner tonight.  It has really brought the spirit into our home.  They are excited all week for Fast Sunday and are very aware of it.  We talk about how it is Fast Sunday and why and what we do and what we are fasting for all day long.  It has been so wonderful.


For our fist Break-the-Fast breakfast we had blueberry buttermilk pancakes, real hash browns, bacon, scrambled eggs, and banana's.  When the sign up's for having the missionaries over for dinner came by at church I signed them up for a Fast Sunday - I thought the breakfast thing would be a fun tradition to share with them - boy was I right.  Apparently they love breakfast foods.  We went BIG -buttermilk waffles, real hash browns, bacon, sausage, real whipped cream, fresh strawberries, fruit salad, scrambled eggs, orange juice.  We all ate and ate and ate.  They asked if they could come back every fast Sunday.  If you are looking for a good tradition I highly recommend this - I have visions of our teenagers inviting their friends and their families over for brake-the-fast breakfast.  It's goona be great!

2 comments:

Jill T said...

I really like those ideas, both a really awesome breakfast for dinner but also just talking about fasting and letting the kids try it out when they are interested.

Karen said...

That does sound like a fun tradition. Don't you love having the missionaries over? That's something that I love about living away from Utah. I remember maybe a half dozen times growing up (if that!) that we fed the missionaries. In Omaha there were many months that we did it weekly. We haven't had that much opportunity here just because it's a bigger ward, but we have still have them over a few times. I knew a family in Omaha that did breakfast for dinner a lot on Sundays...not just fast Sunday. They did breakfast or depending on the time church was they did popcorn, summer sausage, cheese and crackers while they had their family movie. It's just fun to read about your new tradition and think of some other dear friends who do it similarly.