I decided to put up our Christmas decorations by myself this year. Almost every years prior I do it with the kids, it is usually fun - but in the end, after they have gotten bored, it is all left to me anyways, and this year there seemed to be so much going on, that one day during the girls' naps I just went ahead and did it. I thought they would be mad when they found out. They weren't. They didn't even say a word. Putting up our Christmas decorations alone gave me more time to ponder them. I ended up finding myself very sentimental. In fact I even put a post on Facebook (which I rarely do) it said,
"While I was putting our Christmas decorations up I was overcome with how much I love them. They represent us so beautifully. Some we got at our wedding, most I made in Provo in the 169th ward, many from the dollar store, some from my mom's old decorations, and several made by family members and given as gifts. They make me laugh because they mostly reflect our poverty over the years - but I wouldn't change them for anything. In fact our stockings are all from the dollar store (they don't even match - they were bought each year as needed!) and today I decided that even if we are one day millionaires, I will keep our dollar store stockings - because that was all we could afford the year we had that particular baby."
Mostly I love the ones that I made our first few years of marriage at Enrichment in the 169th ward. Many people left comments about how they love their Christmas tree ornaments for the same reason. I found that I do not have the same feelings about our ornaments (except for about 5 of them). In fact this year instead of packing them all up I threw most of them away. Most were broken, and I was sick of them. they were ornaments from the dollar store about 10 years ago. I have wanted to replace them for a while, but never did - several reasons - I don't' know really what I would want instead, laziness, and of course money. I guess I can tell that I feel like we are "moving up in life" when I am throwing away stuff away just to replace later (5 year ago Jamie would be appalled).
Well, to make up for not letting them help with the house decorations, we all did the tree together (which we usually do anyways). We all went to pick it out together. Then Jason and Brock put it on the stand, and had to "re straighten it" about 5 times. Actually this Christmas was another new mile stone - we got our tree home and found out it didn't fit in our base. I had to drive back and buy a new one. Yea for bigger trees!
I never took a picture of the tree or of the house decorated - but when I downloaded our pictures I found one that some child took - I know because the lens didn't open all the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment