Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Basketball

Brock played basketball this winter.  I debated how I wanted to word that first sentence "I got Brock to play basketball", "Brock finally agreed to play basketball", "Brock decided he wanted to play basketball".  It was kind of a combination of all of them.  Basketball is my favorite sport to watch and I always wanted him to play.  He played once or twice when he was 7 and 8 - but then was never interested again.  Every year I tried to get him to sign up and he wouldn't.  Then last year his best friend signed up and asked Brock to sign up with him and Brock said he wanted too - but he had already signed up for indoor soccer, but Brock said he "might want to next year".  THEN (and I think this was the real issue) he went into Young Men's and they played basketball.  Brock is a natural athlete and is used to being good at any sport he plays.  But he wasn't/isn't naturally good at basketball.  I think that bothered him.  So when I asked my annual question in December "Do you want to sign up for basketball?"  He said yes.  I was thrilled.  It was obvious, though, that he wasn't too thrilled.  In fact he said, he was just going to do it this one year - just to learn the basics.  

I went to Brock's first practice and it was actually really fun to watch him do a sport he wasn't naturally good at.  He was timid and shy and a little embarrassed - he has NEVER been that way while playing a sport.  I realized this was going to be really good for him and would really bring out his true character.  We had a good talk on the way home about how to be coached, how to have good character, work hard, learn new things, and to be humble.  He grew a lot during the season.  Now he goes out and played basketball on our neighborhood hoop almost daily.  I haven't asked yet.... but I hope he wants to play again next year.
He is number 5

The best part was that he had a good team and good coaches.  It always helps when you learn a new sport to win often.  They made it to the championship game!  He was really excited.  And then.... as most things lately.... it got canceled to the coronavirus!  He was really bummed.  He has had a few disappointments and cancellations (as we all have).  


IT was kind of nice having a winter Saturday outing for us.  Dane was a champ and everyone else was amazing taking care of Dane.  The would follow him around and play with him and watch him the whole game - all with out being asked. 







When they were not watching Dane they usually read




No comments: