Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Friday, February 24, 2023

Old Testament Come Follow Me

In January we transitioned from Old Testament to New Testament in Come, Follow Me.  For the first week the manual didn't have us jump into the new testament so I took it as a week to have a few book end lessons on the Old Testament and see what we liked, learned, and remembered.  I was impressed by the things they learned and liked.  Jason took the lead last year in the Old Testament and he did a great job keeping it exciting, accessible, and Christ focused.  It just my feelings and made me sad to not be as involved as I had previously been, but I knew it was right (for everyone).  

After our lessons I put all our stuff on this wall and it made me happy.  I went through the manual and cut out the good pictures.  Wish I had done this every year.
At the end of Book of Mormon we did this excessive where it had the words down one side that said "obey like...., pray like..., etc) and they had to come up with someone in the BoM who exemplified that attribute and then explain to us why (also they had to find the scripture refence).  I remember that going fantastically so I figured we could reproduce it for the Old Testament.  I used the exact same verbs as I did the BoM, but half way through the activity I wished I had put some more work/though into it and picked words that were more applicable to the old testament like "Sacrifice like...., courageous like....., etc.  I am going to do this activity at the end of every CFM year, so I can grow and change every year.  If you were to zoom in on the wall you would see that everyone shared what their favorite story was and/or what was most influential for them.  They gave some amazing responses that spanned the year.  Megan's was by far the best though, but it didn't start that way.  When it was her turn she said "I didn't have anything"  I didn't accept that answer and told her to really think and ask the spirit to bring something to her remembrance, that upset her and she got really emotional and said that she just didn't have any, I again pushed.  She then poured out her heart about the Abrahamic covenant and bore a beautiful testimony about how she knows she is a daughter of God and how that is foundational to who she is.  It was powerful and impactful to all of us and we were all a bit speechless afterwards.  I didn't know she felt so strongly about it and am grateful I kept pushing.  I don't know if she knew how she felt, but once she started talking she found her voice and gave words to the feelings in her heart and the spirit bore witness to her that what she said was true and I think she surprised herself a bit.  



 

No comments: