Last October was a hard general conference. It was my first "fail" general conference. I didn't do "guess who's coming to dinner" until about 8 days before it started. It is hard balancing and knowing who I am doing things for: the teens? the toddlers? me? really it is all the Lord, I know that and I feel that, but that sometimes doesn't help me know what practically to do. The teens are rarely home and so while I did GWCTD with who ever was there, I tried playing with the teens over the family chat. It went pretty well.
I would send one picture, and then a few minutes later another. They got them pretty quick.
Its Oaks.
I woke up on Saturday morning without anything "ready". It was weird. But also consistent with my mental and emotional state. Somedays I am able to ride the wave, some days it crashes over me. But regardless of how ill prepared I was I am pretty good at doing things last minute, and so at 6 am I ran up to King Soopers for some chocolate milk, dropped some chocolate milk and frozen cinnamon rolls off at my ministering sisters house on my way home, and make a brunch with the other stuff I always have on hand in my pantry. And by 9 am I was pretty caught up.

after brunch I put the left overs on our kitchen table and decided to add a picture or two and throughout the weekend I kept up my little "spread" as I added different snacky foods to it. This way teenagers who were coming and going throughout the weekend and weren't exactly around for conference still saw the celebration of conference and could see it be the focal point and feel like they could take part of the celebration even though they couldn't sit with us. It felt like an invitation, an opportunity, a reminder. Where I didn't even have a vision or goal on Friday, as I went, the spirit helped unfold for me what I could do.
There was one session where it was just me, Dane, and Eve. It was pretty sweet.
The spiritual lessons were sweet and it was touching to listen to President Nelson counsel us to start to prepare for Christ to come again.
Lest you think I am always capable of making magic, I surely am not. On Sunday I wanted to have a caramel apple bar ready as soon as conference was over.
It was a total failure. Total. I wasted so much time and money. It was embarrassing. I made several batches of caramel and each one totally failed. All for different reasons. I won't take the time to walk you through the journey. But in the end we never got the caramel to make the caramel apples.
Luckily Jason wanted to take pictures of my efforts. On this batch the apples didn't stick to the caramel at all and just got hard and brittle, You couldn't cut it with a knife!
But I had good toppings! It would have been great!
With quite a bit of labor of love and globbing caramel onto apples we managed to make a few
And this was ALL we got. They look a lot better than they tasted, very hard and chewy or even crunchy. sigh. MAYBE I will try again next year. But I may be traumatized and just buy caramel.
No comments:
Post a Comment