Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Monday, February 4, 2008

My thoughts on the race


(My spell check is not working - so forgive my blatant errors)
Given that tomorrow is Super Tuesday, I thought I would give my input. Jason and I are pretty into politics. We follow the candidates and research the issues.

For strictly political reasons I like Mit Romney, unfortunetly I DO NOT like the fact that he is Mormon. I was not going to vote for him because although I think he would make a great president, I don't think that we, as a church, are mature enough to handle it. However, I really do not like McCain, he is just too much like George Bush, and although I liked Bush and voted for him in the past, I think the nation really needs a change of pace, and I do not think McCain would provide that in the area's needed. Given all this information I am pretty sure McCain is going to win, Huckabee is splitting the conservative vote in the "winner take all" states, and Romney just doesn't have enough percentage in the "grade on a curve" states. If Huckabee would drop, Romney could take it, however I think Huckabee is staying in JUST SO Romney will lose and McCain will pick him as a running mate.

Other than the fact that I think he would be a good president I am a little sad about Romney not winning because I am curious to see how the church would handle him as a president. Would he have home teachers? Would he be a home teacher? Hold a calling? Could he go to the temple? Would he go to the temple? If he wanted too, he obviously could not take body guards or do a security sweep - I just think the answers to these questions would be interesting. I wonder who ever the bishop is for the ward the white house is located in, is asking himself these very questions.

So if McCain really takes it (and I think he will), I hope Obama wins over Clinton (and I think he will), because I would vote for Obama over McCain. I think Obama is just something new and exciting, and it is "worth a shot", his lack of experience is a little unsettling, but I like the idea of bringing in an outsider. So my predictions for tomorrow is McCain and Obama. However I would like it to be Romney and Clinton, because I don't know if Romeny could beat Obama. So I am praying for an upset on both sides.

9 comments:

Janina Herbert said...

yeah, I think it'll end up being McCain vs Obama, too. And my gut instinct is telling me "Vote for Obama!" But then I was thinking that, come November, maybe voting Republican for president would be better, that way we can keep the party's platforms in the presidency. I dunno. I'm still struggling with that issue, because I'm SO against McCain!
And, ok, does it really annoy you, too, how McCain incessantly interjects his "When I was a footsoldier in Vietnam..." speech? It kills me!

Oh, also, you're right about Huckabee staying in the race just so that Romney wouldn't get his votes if he dropped out - Huckabee even said it. Yup. I can't stand Huckabee.

Anways, I agree with your thoughts on Romney being president, and I think it's great that you're keeping up on politics - it just proves that, even as a new mom, you can still keep in touch with the world! way to go, jamie! love ya!

Sabrina said...

Very interesting ideas, especially the thoughts on how Romney's membership would be affected by being presidency. For my very long thoughts on the race, visit my blog.

I am Laura said...

I am all for Obama. He is my man right now. Also sorry about your mom. I hope she is feeling better. I love your thankful thought at the top of your blog. I am trying to be more thankful and I find it difficult sometimes. It seems you have an ease with it that is awesome. Brock is too cute. How are interviews going? Boy, it is a tough road isn't it.

Living In Love said...

Have you looked into RON PAUL? I'm going to be bold and say, Democrat, Republican, it doesn't matter... What we need is someone to uphold the original values our country was founded on (through inspiration I add). But that won't happen because the world is only getting more wicked, and the US is leading that parade. But I'm voting for him anyway because I believe in his principles!! If Hilary wins, I'm moving to Mexico... And I love that you've thought about Romney's details as a church member! I never did! Does the prophet have home teachers? Do the twelve, the seventy? Does Sheri Dew? haha I can't believe I've never thought about that!

Rosie said...

I'm with you... my worst fear is a Clinton-McCain race, becuase although Clinton can be beaten by a great republican candidate (in my head), John McCain CAN NOT win a general election. People have just had too much of the good 0l' boys club. I would love to see. We think a lot a like... I'd love to see Clinton-Romney but I don't see it coming to fruition. The one thing that is just driving my up the wall is the nasty underhanded things that McCain and Huckabee keep saying over and over and over again against Romney. I'm a little sick of nasty polotics. My best hope is Obama-McCain in which case, just like you, I'll probably vote Obama... if I can ever manage to register to vote under my married name. =)

Janina Herbert said...

so i was thinking today some more about what you said in your blog, and my thoughts on the matter. and i've decided, if it does end up being mccain vs. obama (likely), i'm totally for obama! why fight it, janina?! hehe. hope you're doing well!

Rosie said...

Lauren's family was in my stake growing up... she's got a brother my age. Let me tell you, we miss the 169th ward SO MUCH! We were finally in a ward we liked just a much, then they changed out ward boundaries (we're in our 5th ward in less than 4 years) and its just kinda eh... Any news yet on medical school vs, masters degree?

Skyler said...

GOBAMA!

Andrew and Haley said...

i just wanted to say hi!! i'm so excited to have a blog now so i can look at yours!!! you're the best. thanks for everything you do!