Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Don't tell the Lord what you don't want

I teach Relief Society on the third Sunday. This is the third time I have been called as a RS teacher in the the past 3 years. Every time I have taught on the second or third Sunday. For May the fourth Sunday teacher asked if I would teach it because she was going to be out of town, I said sure. (FYI - second and third Sundays are taught out of Teaching of the Prophet Joseph Smith and fourth Sundays are taught out of the Conference Ensign.)

On Sunday morning after I was finished putting together my lesson I said to Jason:

"I am really glad I don't teach fourth Sundays. They are really hard. I hope I never get asked to do fourth Sundays - I would say no. I just want to get up and read the talk. How am I supposed to expand on something that is already so inspired and so perfect. I hate teaching fourth Sundays."

When my lesson was over the First Counselor in the RS (the one in charge of teachers) came up to me and said:

"We would like you to switch to teach the fourth Sunday lesson instead of the third. A lot of sisters who have taught it before just mostly read the talk and don't expand on it that much. We think you could keep the discussion focused and expand the talk really well. Will you switch."

Of coarse I said yes. "We do not seek for callings, nor do we deny them." (Elder Neil L. Anderson)

4 comments:

ann said...

Hey Jamie! I am sure you are an amazing teacher. I've been 'stuck' with the Young Women for 3 years. I've been secretly and not-so-secretly hoping for something different in our new ward... so I'll probably end up in YW :).

We did end up selling our house. But, I will keep my eye out for something around here! That's exciting you'll be getting out of Provo! I know how much you love it. ..

I am Laura said...

I have been in a primary calling my entire adult life minus one year in young womens. I desperately want to be in relief society, but they keep me in primary. 12 years and counting away from relief society or a Sunday school lesson in church is becoming very hard on me. Last week I told Ben I was finally happy in primary and didn't care if I was in relief society or had any social life at church, his response, "well, now you will probably get released." we will see about that.

Jess said...

LOL!! I'm sure you will do just fine!

C Smoot said...

Your post came to mind when I was summoned to talk to someone in the Bishopric. I was thinking, "I don't want a teaching calling right now!" So I was thinking and didn't say it out loud. Thankfully it was just for a calling as the V.T. Supervisor. I can do that!
We need to hang out sometime!! Any luck on finding somewhere else to live? You should come out and live out here.