Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Dear Anonymous

Dear Anonymous,

I wrote a blog post regarding my annoyance with eating. At the end I said, "when do all my kids go to school?" Then I got this comment:

Anonymous said...
Your kids never all go to school if you just keep having them . . .

September 11, 2010 11:55 PM


I don't know who you are or what exactly you mean - I find your comment to be hostile - however it is factual. If someone would continue to have many children, they will never all be in school at the same time. So, if for some reason you are stating a fact, then thanks for pointing that out.

But if I am right, and you are trying to make me feel guilty for the choices Jason and I have made regarding our family - thanks, but no thanks. I had actually intended on writing this post explaining our choices in having three children so close together. But in the moment I feel like simply saying: I do not have to explain anything to you. And if my choices bother or offend you, please stop reading my blog. I find joy in my role as a wife and mother, and I am going to have more children.

8 comments:

Ulrich Family said...

Dont worry about what other people say if you and your family are happy then thats all that matters. Kids are awesome I too want as many as I can handle. Any way I think you are an awesome mom keep up the good work. Love ya.

Janina Herbert said...

oh! btw, LOVE your longer hair! i don't think i've ever seen you with hair past your shoulders, and it is such a new look - love it! :)

Janina Herbert said...

hmmm....don't know why my other comment didn't post, so i'll just re-post it. Before leaving my hair comment, I said that I'm sorry someone posted that on your blog (wasn't me!) and that i miss you and you should call me soon so we can just catch up :)

love you!

I am Laura said...

Jamie,

I just wrote a huge long hateful reply to this addressed to whoever anonymous is. I then decided it wasn't my place to be rude to someone I don't know and didn't post it. I want you to know that I really think you have a right to have as many children you want as close as you want. I wish I had had James and Grace closer in age. They play so much better if they are close in age. I am sure it is so hard having three kids so close together and right now you can't imagine a day when you can eat a decent meal with them around, but even before they are all in school you will find that you will have your time again. They get bigger and play together so well. You will find that they play so well that it can be hours until you have to do anything for them. When Grace naps and James and Ally are together playing, I am in heaven. Now they do fight and that is hard, but you are such a great mom I am sure your kids won't fight much. Here are some things I do when I am tired and need a break from the kids:
1. put them in the car and go get lunch -- they have to stay put in their car seats. Eat your lunch in the car at a nice outlook of the city.
2. my kids love playing computer. I am not sure if yours are old enough yet, but it can give me countless hours of time to myself.
3. Don't worry if they watch too much tv on a hard day for you. Once and a while you need a sanity day.
4. Try trading babysitting with a friend. I want to do this, but keep moving and it takes so long to get friends. I wonder what it would be like to go to the grocery store alone. I bet it is actually fun!
Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Sabrina said...

I love you, Jamie! This post is just so you and that is totally a compliment. You and Jason totally know what you are doing and need to answer to no one, and if anyone can handle a large family of children born close together it's you guys. You are complete successes in my book.

Holly Strong said...

How RUDE!!! I can't believe someone would put something like that. It's bad enough we are hard on ourselves, but to be hard on others. Not cool! I think you responded well and I think they should stop reading your blog too. Kepp up the good work and do whatever you and Jason want with your family.

Ashlee said...

Way to go Jamie!!!! If it does bother them, they shouldn't be reading your blog.. You are a great mother and SHOULD have more kids.

Skyler (AKA Anonymous)) said...

So, when I couldn't sleep the other night I started cruising blogs and came to your post about eating. Being in the same situation as far as kids go, and knowing how you feel, I thought I would post a quip about having kids and how the blissful day you were discussing (and of which I have dreamed) where all the kids would be in school for a few hours is never going to come. And I decided to post as "Anonymous" just to be funny and see how'd you react. Well, of course I forgot to tell Karli about it (mostly because it was midnight when I did it and she was sleeping next to me, and I forgot to say anything in the AM). Well, here's a surprise when she mentions the comment when I get home from work. Realizing that it really fired you up in a way I never really intended, I just figured I wouldn't say anything, let you vent your conviction and watch from the sidelines as it all just blew by. Well, Kar told the story to her fam yesterday and and I told Alyssa it was me who made the comment and she starts busting up. So then Kar is like, "WTF?" so then I tell her . . . and she's not happy. So I told her I'd come clean and fess up to leaving you that little nugget of fact, which meant to entertain but callously ended up causing stress and harm. For that, you have my deepest apologies. However, I must admit that after watching you wind up Karli just to see her have the "freakouts" that Brooklyn has now perfected, it did give me just a giggle to get the chance to be on the other side and watch you get in a tissy . . . although I doubt you resorted to throwing things :) In the end, we're both still pushing along on the every-24-month-or-less baby plan (although I"m currently trying to extend that time line with our next . . . although it didn't work with the first 3 so we'll see how that goes). But for the record, I will say that you and Jason are great parents and I hope you little bunnies fill your home with little darling, stinky, eating-disorder-inducing, surprise-leaving, wallet-draining, bundles of joy just like we're planning to do! :) :) :)