We had the most perfect Christmas Eve ever. I decided to not take any pictures and just to live in the moment the whole day. Although I am sad not to have any pictures on the blog - the day was so perfect and wonderful I am glad I lived in the moment - plus Jason hates the whole picture thing.
In the morning we took the kids to Jungle Jim's (an indoor amusement park). So much fun. Then we had a wonderful (if I do say so myself) Christmas Eve dinner. I made a ham, twice baked potatoes (with real bacon crumbles), home made rolls, and a yummy salad. It was just our family and it was so wonderful. Then we frosted sugar cookies for Santa. This is what I am most sad to not have taken pictures of because for the first time the boys frosted the cookies for real. They took a lot of time, thought, and sprinkles into them. Brock frosted a candy cane with red and white stripes and Noah put about a pound of sprinkles and frosting on every cookie. And I let him - I just wanted to let them have fun and not try to micro manage Christmas Eve cookie decorating - yea for self control letting loose :). We read the Christmas story from the bible and book of Mormon and watched the new church movie about the birth of Jesus and put the kids to bed.
It doesn't sound like much but I think it is one of my top 5 favorite days since having a family. Our house was filled with the Spirit, Christmas joy, children laughing, and love. (yes - that is all so cheesy - but SO true). I am tempted to bag the whole extended family Chrsitmas Eve thing and make it our tradition.
A quick shot of the living room after Santa came.
3 comments:
I LOVE your Christmas Eve celebration. It sounds perfect. I'm glad you had such a good day. Also, I just saw your parenting page and I love it. Thanks for sharing your ideas, they are great.
there are not very many perks to lving a million and half miles away from family, but one of them is that you have no obligations to be at big family holiday events and you can do your own little thing, with your own little traditions and just your own little family. We LOVE doing the "just us" Christmas stuff... in fact after Allison's first Christmas we decreed to our families that we had no intentions to ever travel to do a big family christmas ever again. And we love it. :)
I think having Christmas Eve and sometimes Christmas all to your and your family's self is the best!!
Post a Comment