Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

What I didn't know

Brock doesn't go to preschool.  It kind of breaks my heart.  It is a catch 22 because my degree is in early childhood education so I know how important preschool is and on the same page I am totally qualified to prepare Brock for kindergarten myself.  Regardless I wish we could be in a situation where he could go.

Anyways, just because I am "qualified" doesn't mean I always find/make the time.  In my "dream" world I work with Brock everyday - but days seem to slip through my hands and I realize it has been a week or so since we have done anything structured. 

Regardless of my "lack of effort" Brock seems so be learning things all on his own.  I took these pictures a few months ago and have been meaning to post. 


He made a map of our living room kitchen area.  He just came to me with this.  And the word 'map' written on it.  He never asked how map was spelled or anything.  Completely on his own he drew this picture and wrote the word map. 
For those of you who have seen our house it is pretty accurate.  He put in our kitchen table, tv, and shelves.

This one was back in September.  It is Brock, Noah, Megan (backwards), and Maddie (backwards).  He has been doing Brock and Noah for a few years but he did Megan and Maddie with out any help - he just figured it out.

We were making a countdown chain for Christmas.  After we had all the pieces cut out I had to go feed Madison, so I told Brock to write numbers on all the papers.  When I told him to do it, it was just to distract him and keep him busy while I fed Madison - I 100% knew he couldn't do it.  I had not even started to teach him to write his numbers.  I came back and found this!
If he was actually going to preschool I can't imagine what he would be doing.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Way to go, Brock!! I went to Kindergarten Round-up for Ethan a few days ago and started tearing up just thinking about him going to Kindergarten (it is all day here, so that doesn't help my emotions). When I got out to the car I just sobbed. He wasn't even with me, it wasn't the first day of school. I just filled out paper work!! This is such a big step and I do know that they can do it.

Laura said...

Preschool is for social reasons in my mind than learning reasons. My children learned their letters and numbers from me. Looks like he is learning a ton at home.

Go to playgroups and make sure he is social and he will be fine. See if you have friends that want to do a preschool co-op and you won't even have to pay. I have friends who worked it out so whoever was teaching had their kids watched by someone else so they could do the teaching. It was a very good experience for them and her son was reading Harry Potter in 2nd grade. Seriously he was a genius and never went to real preschool.