The number one reason for not blogging lately is that I haven't downloaded my pictures from my camera onto my computer. Seems like such an easy task, but somehow debilitating. Now I am scared to do it because I will be so overwhelmed. I still have Brock and Megan's birthdays on there from APRIL.
Number two reason is time.
I had a break down yesterday, several actually. I just might start complaining, I shouldn't "air my dirty laundry", but... I really want too.
This is hard. I wondered if I wanted to say that, you know, out loud, on my blog. But I think sometimes there is power and strength is acknowledging that something is hard. Sometimes, when something is really hard, almost too hard, I say to myself, "I am a strong woman". Sounds lame, but it is a small pep talk that always seems to work.
Anyways back to the NOW. Yesterday everything kinda came to a head and I felt overwhelmed with the realization that I simply can not get everything done that I need to get done. And if I even TRY to get it all done than I am not the mom that I want to be and spend most the day trying to get my kids to leave me alone so I can get everything done. Yesterday all I could think was, "I think if I had 48 hours straight of no kids I could get my to-do list done", but the worst part about a home-makers to do list is the moment something is crossed off it is almost immediately put back at the bottom of the list. So I probably need 48 hours every month.
This week was just the perfect storm. Jason got a new schedule - so I am adjusting to that. I am the scout master and I have my pack meeting on Thursday. I have 3 new scouts coming in, two or three advancements in each den, a bazillion awards, an arrow of light, and a cub scout going into scouts. My girls are sick, really sick. I can not go any where. We have no food. I really need a good 2 hours at Walmart and a Costco run, but first I need to meal plan and make a list. My whites have been in the dryer since Saturday begging to be folded and put away. I hate folding whites. I have a dishwasher full of dirty dishes and no dish soap - boo. My bathroom desperately needs to be cleaned, and I mean DESPERATELY. Those are all the most pressing. Everything else can wait. But those things nag at me and nag at me while I sit holding a sobing, sick child while three others are simultaneously clamoring for my attention.
I wrote this post in my head yesterday, kinda a downer, but it was how I felt. Actually that is the sugar coated version of how I felt. I cried to myself for a good hour or so and then sobbed it out to Jason at 10:00 at night (that is my midnight - did I mention I am SO tired I am non-functioning after 8:30). Then swore to do and be better. Today has actually been a really good day. We went on a nature scavenger hunt and then made collages of what we found. We played superheros with capes in the backyard with a really ferocious wind. That was a lot of fun. I have tried very very hard to be patient, but the sound of four children whining just gets me and I feel like I have to scream. I have been known to go in my back yard and just yell. But right now all four children are napping (very very rare), I have dinner in a crockpot, and for some reason I felt that it was more beneficial to write down my feelings rather than tackle the very to-do list I am complaining about. Funny huh.
Now I want to warn someone. Several months ago I wrote a similar whiny post (I guess that is where my kids get it) and I had a neighbor who had just had a baby THAT WEEK bring me cookies. So to you, thank you - but I do not complain to get something :) Unlike my kids :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What was your treat last night? Sounds like it was VERY much deserved. You're doing great. Keep going. Being a mother is hard and if you said it was easy I would think you were crazy! We have our wonderful days to balance the go-nowhere-accomplish-not-so-much-days. If venting helps, then vent away. You're wonderful and you ARE a strong woman.
I've been feeling like this a lot lately. That struggle between getting stuff done and being the mom I want to be is a familiar one. And then there are those horrible days when it feels like you didn't do either! I'm sorry for what you're going through, but selfishly grateful. Well, grateful that you wrote about it, anyway, because it was so validating to me. I think a little venting is not only good for the woman in question, but the woman listening as well. And knowing that days like this happen to moms as fabulously dedicated to you gives me comfort and hope.
Jamie, you are human. I'm glad about that actually. Super-moms are exhausting for the rest of us because we feel so lame in comparison! That neighbor who brought you cookies was probably just on a crazy high after having her final baby. Trust me. I bet she's not that amazing now. ha ha!You did GREAT tonight! Thanks for all the work you do in scouts!!
Post a Comment