One day during nap time the boys and I hiked up to Bridal Veil Falls. We have been doing this since they were babies (literally). It was one of my favorite things about Provo - the PERFECT hike for babies and toddlers. When we started I assumed we would do what we have always done. "hike" to the base of the waterfall (probably 1/4 mile or less paved trail through grassy area that is completely flat). Stay at the base and throw rocks into the river/pond. Walk around the rocks and get our feet wet and climb up about 10 feet or so.
This is our usual stopping point.
But the boys wanted to keep going. Who know when your kids are big enough to start doing "big kid things?" I sure don't. But they seemed able. So off we went.
We hike straight up the waterfall! Look how high we were. I had to suppress every motherly instinct. I kept thinking one tumble and its over! But I knew they could do it. And I have made a goal to not mother out of fear. So on we climbed.
Despite the picture they were SO EXCITED when we reached the top and so proud (if you know Brock you know this is his excited face). We stayed up there for a good half hour and enjoyed the beauty, the waterfall and the rainbows.
Lest you think I am an irresponsible mother - we did not hike down the waterfall. That did seem reasonable dangerous (although lots of people did). We took the trail back down.
No comments:
Post a Comment