Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Friday, January 10, 2025

Family Swimming Night

Back to summer.  I have a vision, a vision I formed like 3 or 4 years ago.  I have since learned that my vision wasn't quite reality, although I am still not sure why.  Also, just because my vision is not reality now, doesn't mean it wont be later - I have a long mothering life left.   

My vision:  During the summer on Friday afternoons Dane, Eve, and I would go swimming at our neighborhood pool (walking distance from our house and the kids school).  I would have pizza at the pool and we would stay there all evening.  The teenagers and Jason would stop by for dinner, come and go with friends, maybe swim, maybe read, do something else at the rec center (work out, play tennis, etc), chat and talk about their plans for the weekend.  I would have pizza for all of their friends.  Maybe even their friends would come and look forward to it as well.  Very casual, very low expectations.  The three of us would just be there from like 3-7 and you could know that you could come and go anytime between then to get dinner, relax, chat, and check in.  Doesnt that sound dreamy?  And totally possible!  I hope that next summer it can be - or maybe a few summers after that.  

Anyways I told Jason and the teens about my vision, they kind of laughed at me, and I asked if we could do it ONE time, and they all agreed.  They gave it their best - but it was hard for most of them.  They asked questions like, "what am I supposed to do?"  "why am I here?", "Can I leave now?"  "Have I been here long enough?"  I don't think any of them swam, nobody brought friends, nobody "came and went", they all came when I brought Dane and Eve and left the moment I said, "you guys can leave if you want".    I think Jason was the most confused - you can see it in his face.  But I give them all an A for effort.  They humor me and my plans all the time and I love them for it.  





Dane and Eve did convince Jason and Brock to get in towards the end and throw them around.  They had so much fun.  The night was a win.





 

No comments: