I have spent almost every waking-available free minute this last week of break resetting our home. It feels like I am just moving stuff around. As I do it I have thought a lot about if it is worth it. I have learned a lot of things as I have done it. But the answer to a lot of it is, "yes", which was surprising. I expected my answer to be to simplify, so I can spend less time setting up, maintaining, and cleaning. There is a line, and there are things I want to simplify. But He taught me my role. I am a creator. I am creating. I am creating moments. Emotions. Memories. Links. I will hardly ever know fruit that was created or seeds that were planted in my childrens hearts, minds, souls. But I have faith in a living God and he will concentrate my efforts.
While I was putting away Christmas Dane and Eve built a Christmas village.
In the Herbert household a wintery forest with snow covered pine trees must have a lamp post hidden among the trees. Dane and Eve didn't know why, I think they might find out this year.





Then on Monday I was trying to come up with a plan to do something fun. Megan and Noah had tech, so they were out. Brock and Maddie are always looking for something fun to do and are always up for a good time. I came up with a plan for Brock to take Maddie, Dane, and Eve to a place we have never been before called, "Lava Island". Brock called his friends and invited them. Dane and Eve felt SO PRIVLAGED to be able to go with Brock and his friends. It was all working out so great! It was 30 minutes away, so I was going to have 3 hours or more to finish getting house stuff done AND everyone was having a great time TOGETHER - it was a win, win. Then my phone rang. With out going into TOO much detail they wouldn't let them in because they didn't have an adult with them (Brock is 2 1/2 months away from being 18 - AND everywhere "says" that, but never has anyone cared before). It was my fault, so I told them I would drive out there and "get them in". There goes
my plans for the day - but I didn't care too much, my main objective was for my kids to have a good day, so driving out there to "get them in", while annoying, was worth it. Then, while I was like 10 minuets away Maddie got up the courage to ask another mom who was just coming in to "get them in" (something I had recommended they do before I left the house but it was too embarrassing). She asked and the mom said "yes". She called and we traded information. I was so proud. What a win! They figured it out, they pushed themselves out side of comfort zones, they learned there are good people who are willing to help, they learned that they can and should help other people, and we can problem solve (they wanted to just give up and come home). However, they did not take any pictures (like I asked them to), so I took these when they came home. Maddie doesn't love having her picture taken - so she tries to be funny.







I put our books back out after taking down christmas stuff and I decided to decorate by color this time. Kind of fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment