Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Living vicariously


I have come to the conclusion that I miss work. It has taken me a while to come to this conclusion because I thought that if I admitted that I missed work than that meant I did not enjoy being at home or that I wanted to go back to work - and I knew neither of those things were true. However, over the past few weeks I have been able to pinpoint exactly what I miss about work - mostly through Jason working.


  • Food - I miss people buying me lunches, dinners, and Friday morning breakfast. On a weekly or daily basis Jason's work buys him lunch at Cafe Rio, Zupas, Chipotle, Chinese Food, Noodles, or some other place that I would LOVE to eat at - while I am at home with a PB&J or Top Roman - yum! And THEN he has the audacity to come home and complain about how they put too much rice in his Cafe Rio pork burrito. I could kill him!

  • Office gossip - When I say office gossip I don't mean talking about other people behind their backs, I mean having a friend at work that lives that crazy life completely unlike my own that is full of stories and drama and having her/him fill me in on what they did over the weekend or last night. Two weeks ago I got really excited because they (PBS) rolled out a whole new set of Sid the Science Kid - 10 all new episodes on simple machines and backyard science! That is my exciting update!

  • Clothing - I miss being able to wear fancy business clothes. Sometimes I still wear them just for fun - by the end of the day they have breast milk, spit-up, snot, and food all over them -not very business like. Same goes with jewelry.

I was able to come to these conclusions because I realized I was living vicariously through Jason. When he comes home from work I ask him what he had for lunch - I want to know what he ordered, what he put on it, and how it tasted. Jason also has some good friends at work that live very interesting lives - I have never really met any of these people but I have become obsessed with them. Everyday I ask him about them and if he has any updates on their stories. I tell him to ask them specific questions about details that he left out. During my day I am thinking about them and thinking about what advice Jason should give them. It is SO pathetic - I think this is why stay at home moms get into soap opera's - everyone needs some drama. And finally I try to pick out Jason's work outfits for him to wear - but he usually just rolls his eyes and wears something else - rude!


Oh - to still have an interesting life! For a disclaimer - I would not go back to work for the world and am so grateful to Jason working so hard so I don't have too. All I really need is a food stipend so I can go to lunch every once in a while and a good friend with a lot of drama.

4 comments:

Kari said...

It's true!! Sometimes I have to remind myself that Mike going to school is not a break. Being a stay at home mom is wonderful, but sometimes I do miss things about working.

Jeff and Linz said...

Jamie you are too cute! I love this post! Everyone has got to have some drama in their life. P.S. I found your blog I hope you don't mind.

Charmaine said...

I can totally relate to everything here and understand what you're going through. But at the same time I really don't miss work at all. Being a mom at home with the kids is so much better.

P.S. Haven't really been able to use the Moby Wrap. In fact, it's in the fabric bag it came in when I received it in the mail! Tragic!

Megan Loves Life said...

LOVE IT! That is hilarious! Is that why we are friends... because I always had DRAMA?!?!?! My life is pretty much drama-free now I think! Kim's work gets catered dinner on Thursdays and goes out to dinner on Tuesdays. I always want to know what they had for dinner, and I'm always jealous! :) And when I'm shopping I always buy work shirts or pants for Kim! You're not alone... I'm sorry you were all sick! We're going through a bit of that ourselves... bah!