Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Monday, August 3, 2009

Faith

Warning - this is a negative post, as I am in a negative mood - just trying to stay true to myself.

There is a scripture (don't want to find the reference right now) that says something to the affect of "quench not the spirit". When you re in a very faithful/spiritual period in your life you may wonder, as I have, "who would quench the spirit? Why would you ever not want the spirit to speak to you?" Well I am beginning to understand why the warning is given, because right now I know I am quenching the spirit - and willingly too. (Just to make things clear.)

For me I have found that the desire comes when I feel like I have been betrayed by the spirit. Without getting into too much personal detail - When, after prayers, study, fasting, temple going, obedience, and a lot of pondering, I feel as though I have had an actual conversation with my Heavenly Father, and I know EXACTLY what he wants me to do, I know what the terms are, I know what the blessings are, I know what has lead me up to this point, I have received answers to my prayers, and I just know. And this knowledge gets reconfirmed time and time again. And then... nothing. I don't get it, I don't get the blessing I thought for sure I was going to get, I don't get the opportunity I felt was right, and I feel like the rug has been pulled out from under me, and I feel completely betrayed. I am left wondering, "what happened? Where did I go wrong? Did I actually feel the spirit prompting me to do those things or was it just thoughts of a "frenzied mind"? Do I even know what the spirit feels like? Have I ever known? Does Heavenly Father even listen? or answer?" The answer to my questions are always yes, which I think is worse. To know that I really did feel the spirit and it really did speak to me and it really did tell me to do that thing - but I was just not going to get the blessing I thought I was going to get. Then I just feel lied to and betrayed.

So today, as I have been asking myself these questions and trying to figure it out, I have felt the spirit try to tell me (what I already know), that God does love me, that he is aware of me, that he has a plan for me, and that everything will work out for my good on His time. But you know what? I do not want to hear that right now, for now I just want to be mad and say, "what the heck! We had a deal." I guess I want to "quench the spirit."

I am fully aware that this attitude will get me no where, so please NO comments about it - I just wanted to vent for a minute.

Told you it would be negative.

5 comments:

Sarah and Wes said...

Sorry, I am going to comment, but it is not about your post really. I just wanted to say that the reason I enjoy reading your blog so much is that you are so real. You don't mind sharing what's really on your mind and how you actually feel. I feel like I am reading a real person's blog. Does that make sense? Thanks, I love it.

Sabrina said...

How am I not supposed to comment on that? I agree with Sarah, thanks for your honesty.

Rosie said...

I know exactly how you feel... both your frustration and your need to vent. I hope you find what you're looking for, or the reason you're not getting it, soon. =)

Rosie said...

oh, and I'm with Sarah and Sabrina too.

Janina Herbert said...

You and Jason have been on my mind ever since Friday, and I've been dying to call you to hear any updates/details....but now, I'm kinda afraid to! :/ What I mean is, if it's having to do with what I think it does, I don't want to get you angry all over again by having you re-live all of it. BUT, if it'll make you feel better (venting always makes ME feel better) then I would LOVE to hear all about it. I just don't want to open up a whole can of worms for you. So just call me if you want :)

love you!