Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Better than Christmas

What could be better than Christmas you might ask??

Well at our house 2 things.  Dirt and a tractor.

And last week we got both.  We finally finished our backyard - and it is beautiful!!  But before we get to that.  The dirt.

We stood on our front porch when a big dump truck came and dumped this dirt on our RV pad - Noah said immediately, as the dirt was dumping, 'I need my tractors".  It was about the cutest thing I had heard my whole life.  He ran inside grabbed all of his tractors in his arms and brought them out to the dirt pile.  

He was in heaven... so the thought.

Until...


This bobcat showed up at our house.
Noah sat like this in our front yard (with tractor in hand)for almost 2 hours (never moved a muscle) and watched this bobcat haul dirt into our backyard.

He was in heaven... so he thought.

Until...

He got to DRIVE IT.  I asked our landscaper if he would give the boys a ride.  I thought a quick 2 second ride if they didn't touch anything - you know - liability reasons.  Well, he put them to work.  They were picking up dirt, and driving it to the backyard and dumping it.  He let them drive it and control it all my themselves.  They each got a turn for like 10 minutes. 

Now to OUR Christmas.  Our backyard was not much to speak of.  A completely broken sprinkler system, just weeds and dirt, and to top it ALL off broken glass everywhere.  We didn't know about the glass when we bought the house - but once the grass started dying it appeared.  It seems as though our previous owners shot off fireworks in vases - or shot at glass bottles - we are not sure - but it was everywhere - and about 4 - 6 inches deep.

Don't let the green fool you - they are weeds.  So after a year of "we can/will do this ourselves" we wised up and realized this was way above our ability, knowledge, and time to finish this on our own.  I NEEDED a backyard that the kids could play in (after all that was the number 1 reason we bought a house... to get a backyard.)

We hired Hallmark Landscapers and they did a wonderful job.  I was a little sceptical and bummed to be hiring out.  Jason comes from a VERY STRONG tradition of do-it-your-selfers and my family has rarely, if ever, hired manual labor out.  To be honest, I was a little embarrassed.  Especially with the year we had.  But after watching the process it was the BEST decision we have ever made.  I watched these professional men in my backyard work for hours and hours on end - with fancy equipment and the know how of what to do.  I realized what took 5 - 6 men 2 full days to do - would have taken Jason every single Saturday this whole summer.  Not to mention a million trips to Lowes, endless frustration, thousands of google searches, countless phone calls to his dad, and favors galore. 

Watching these men work I had an epiphany.  Jason leaves our family everyday to work for us - to make money.  And now we have used some of that money to allow him to spend what precious time he has home with us.  Now our Saturdays can be spent at the Zoo, the pool, or in our new wonderful backyard.  I couldn't think of a better way to spend our money. 

Plus our landscapers were wonderful.  I was nervous about having these men in my backyard while I was home alone with the kids.  Especially since I knew my boys would be so interested in what they were doing, and would want to be involved.  But they were so great to deal with and were awesome with my kids (obviously from the tractor pictures).  I am grateful our first real purchase on upgrading our home was a positive one.

bla, bla, bla.... lets cut to the chase.
The reveal...
Isn't she beautiful?  We seriously just stand and look at it and smile. 

I imagine a swing set here.  I have been searching for one on KSL or Craigslist - last summer I saw a lot of "if you come take it apart it is yours..."  So I am in the market for one of those.  I saw a few earlier in the spring, but not since... just my luck.
And a patio table and chairs here.  Nothing fancy - just plastic - maybe one nice padded chair that I can sit in while I hold the baby.  We already have an umbrella and stand. 

5 comments:

Karen said...

YAY!!!! It looks awesome! I'm so glad you were able to get that done. I think you're right that the money is well spent so that Jason can spend his time with you and the kids. It looks like such wonderful grass to run around in. Color me jealous!

The Bell Bunch said...

I am so excited for you! Looks amazing.

Justin and Ashleigh Smith said...

This is gorgeous! We will be hiring someone in the near future to do our patio of a backyard too and I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend the money to do it but now that I have read your experience, i am convinced. It looks like a summer haven for boys back there!

Megan Loves Life said...

It looks beautiful!!

The Halls said...

How wonderful! Love it. Lil' boys are so cute...any easy to please. I love that he ran to get his tractor.