I went to church on Sunday all alone with the 3, well 3 and a half, children. I was alone all day - Sunday's are our hardest day - so to be alone the WHOLE day on Sunday was a big deal. I was nervous at first. Our church is at 9:00 am, we like to be there about 5 minutes early, and it takes Jason and I both working together every week to pull this off. I wondered if I would be able to get us all there: dressed, ready, everything packed, on time, and especially early.
It turns out I learned something about myself that I think I have always known, just never said out loud. I thrive under these conditions. I think that is why we have structured our family the way we have. I do so much better with a lot to do. Before we had children Jason was planning on attending Medical School, and while I am so glad that didn't pan out and I love having him home and the children definitely benefit from having a mom AND dad all the time - I totally could have done it - and could have done it well. I like having a list of things that need to get done and just going from one thing to another with out a break, and I do much better when I am by myself.
For example, as I mentioned, most Sunday mornings it takes both Jason and I working together to make it out the door. But even on these weeks breakfast dishes are often left on the table, the bathroom is a mess with wet towels, bath toys, make-up, and Megan's hair stuff, and all the halls are cluttered with pajama's, diapers, and toys. On THIS Sunday, my alone Sunday, I left with the house perfectly clean, all the dishes were done, counters wiped off, everything in the house put away. I had Megan's hair done cuter than I usually do, and I was as ready as I wanted. I was so proud of myself (and we were 10 minutes early), that I decided to snap a picture of our "final product". I don't know why I do it better alone. I just do. But I am grateful I don't have to do it alone and Jason makes EVERYTHING better.
Church went fine. I never had to take Megan out (except for one diaper change) and I just got one of my Young Women to hope over and sit with the boys. I actually got to hear a lot of the talks and had a few spiritual experiences/inspirations. I know this post is pretty braggy - but hey, it's my blog. And at the end of the day I was pretty proud of myself. But glad I don't have to do it next week.
4 comments:
same with me. I always seem to get a lot more done when I do it alone, but that isn't the fun of it. It sucks being alone and it sucks feeling the burden of everything on your shoulders all the time. I basically gave up a few weeks ago and out house is a mess, I am a mess, the kids are a mess, and I could care less. I am done doing it all and being all to everyone. It is hard being the mom and always will be. Glad you don't have to do it very often.
Oh and Megan is getting so old. She is adorable as are you boys.
Go You!
Good for you! I'm the same way, when Justin is gone, i am much more efficient and plan things better. If I know it is just going to be me, I am prepared and have a schedule and always make it to things on time. Does Jason work some Sundays now? Or work out of town? Hey! You are still pregnant! I thought for sure that by now you would have had your baby. Maybe this baby will decide to make a normal appearance :)
I think that God knows that for a lot of us, doing it alone would have been the easiest route... But he never said it would be easy. (:
Post a Comment