Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Babysitting and some randomness

This weekend I babysat my friend's 3 kids overnight, at their house, with my kids.  I had a 5 year old (Rachel), 4 year old (Brock), 3 year old (Andrew), 2 year old (Noah), and two 1 year olds (Megan and Cara - just about 2 weeks apart) - not to mention 8 months pregnant.  It was a bit crazy but surprisingly enough - it was super easy.  We had a great time.  I wish I would have brought my camera - especially for Megan and Cara - they were so cute.  And they kind of look like twins I think - not identical - but could definitely be mistaken for twins.  There were moments when I thought "I could do this" (even the twin thing) but by the end of the weekend I realized that while I COULD do it - I don't think it would raise very good children or great adults.  We were in survival mode most of the time.  I went straight from preparing meals/snacks, feeding children, cleaning up, changing diapers, putting someone down for a nap, and then starting that routine over and over again - with an occasional cleaning up of toys, refereeing an argument, or fixing a toy.  I couldn't really even imagine having to fit in laundry, house cleaning, or grocery shopping (although I did leave her house clean, with dishes and floors done).  Not to mention trying to TEACH the children anything or spend one on one time or instill values in them.  So while it is manageable, I don't think anyone could really be successful at it.

We are also in the throws of the whole mini van thing.  It sucks.  First off I don't even really want one - I just have to buy one.  So I am not that motivated.  Nor can we really afford it - so that just adds to the procrastination.  When we started the search I had NO IDEA what I wanted - I was willing to take just about anything - since I felt all of it was stupid.  Now the pendulum has swung in the complete opposite direction - I know EXACTLY what I want - and I am not willing to settle on anything less.  The problem is it is incredibly hard to find.  I have about 5 dealers out there looking specifically just for me, and week after week they are coming up empty handed.  I am working against a time table here - so I ask them if I should just settle and the all assure me they can find it - I just have to be patient.  I can be - I just hope the same is true for our baby.  What I want is a Toyota Sienna 2007-2010 8 seats with power doors (at least one anyways) under 80K miles.  Everything else I could care less about.  There are specific reasons why I want/need those things - but I will spare you the details.  I just hope and pray that we can find one before our baby comes - because once she is here we will just have to buy the first van we can find.

It is getting really hot.  We decided that this year we would spend our money on the backyard and the van (oh and the bills for the baby) and next year (if all goes according to plan, and with our history...) we would get the AC and pave our parking strip (currently its gravel with a lot of weeds).  While the yard and mini van are still top priority - I dream of the AC.  Although I am not a great door/window shutter.  Especially for the backyard.  If my kids are out there and I have to be inside I like the doors/window to be open.  I know this would be a constant fight between me and Jason (and one he should rightly win) - so it is nice not having to worry about waisting money on keeping the doors open.  Silver lining - right?

I dread the first of the month because I have to do my menu and grocery shop.  I dread it even more being pregnant.  I have come to hate my big ole grocery trip every month.  One that same note: it is getting more and more difficult to keep this house clean the more and more pregnant I get.  My last few Monday cleanings have almost sent me into labor.  Not to mention all my stairs - up and down, up and down all day.  Well... that just turned into a lot of complaining... sorry.

On the happy pregnant note - I have started preparing for my birth.  I am a little late - but it is my fourth, so I figure I could wait a little longer.  I am reading my hypnobirthing book again and listening to my affirmations daily.  It is getting so fun and exciting.  I do love to give birth (strangest statement ever - could I put that on a list of hobbies?? "Giving birth" haha).  It is always so exciting to see how the birth is going to play out - it is still one of those things that is such a mystery - how it is all going to happen.  I can't wait.

And for something non-pregnancy/child related....um...thinking...
ok - I got something.  We love the history channel in our house (even the boys).  Have you seen the show "How the states got their shape" - it is really interesting and good.  Anyways, a few nights ago they did Utah - and of course it was all about Mormons - but mostly about food storage/emergency preparedness and the dating rituals of BYU students.  I just tried to find a clip on You Tube - but no luck.  It was hilarious, partially embarrassing, but generally accurate.  For the food storage portion they were almost making fun of us - they said that we go beyond reason and necessity with our food storage and emergency prepardness.  Really?  I don't understand why everyone doesn't have food/water storage - its just smart.  For the BYU part - while I was watching it I didn't think that it was very accurate (the BYU part) - I had never heard of some of the things they were talking about - granted I never actually went to BYU and wasn't in Provo during my dating scene - but I still would have thought I would have heard of some of those things - since I lived there for 6 years and all my friends went there.  So I went and asked Jason if he had heard of some of the things they were talking about - and he had!  It was so embarrassing to know that it was all true!  For example they talked about a NCMO (say it nicmo).. do you know what that is?  I didn't - apparently a non-committal make-out.  According to the history channel and Jason everyone who went to BYU knows what a NCMO is.  Oh...BYU, they are a strange people.

7 comments:

Sabrina said...

I'll join you in complaining about being really prego and not feeling up to all the cleaning, stair climbing, etc. I feel like I can barely do anything w/o it causing a contraction, and this last week was the first time we did anything to prepare for the baby. Funny enough, it took us all of less than a week to be prepared. It's so different when you've been there done that before, isn't it? Good luck with car-buying adventure, never fun. And, I never participated (but then, I didn't go to BYU either) but I had heard of NCMO. How funny the History Channel would find out about that particular idiosyncrasy of BYU life.

Karen said...

We just barely heard about "How the States got their shape", but I haven't seen the Utah one. Funny!

Good luck with getting your van. I'm sure it is a stressful process.

Ellison's said...

Have you looked on Ksl for a toyota? They have ones that are at dealerships.

Rosie said...

on the van: try to in in contact with someone in the church missionary department... maybe ask around in your ward or stake. The church frequently buys Siennas for mission presidents (my in-laws had 2 different ones in their 3 years) and they get sold off when they hit 50k miles. They are very well maintained, fairly priced and usually highway miles. We were comtemplating buying my in-laws van (they were just relased last week) but decided that we didn't want to have a car payment and didn't have enough cash saved for a Toyota.

Justin and Ashleigh Smith said...

1. I LOVE the Sienna's. When we have to get a mini-van in the future, that is the van I want!
2. You are brave to take on so many kids!
and...
3. Don't be a BYU-hater :)

Sarah and Wes said...

I have heard a lot of good things about Siennas! I hope you find one soon. We just bought a Honda Pilot which can seat 8 (it has the third row option). I really didn't want a mini-van, so I am really happy with my Honda! Also, you still need to email me and tell me about your hypnobirthing stuff and what you do!

Hannah said...

What is the name of your hypnobirth book? Did you take a hypnobirthing class? I'm curious to learn more about it. Here is my email if you wouldn't mind letting me know: hwoolsey05@gmail.com Thanks!!