Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Christmas

After much planning and consideration - at last minute I dropped all my plans and opted to have a quite day and evening at home on Christmas eve with just our family.  I really wanted to do something wonderful.  Exactly what I wasn't sure.  But I wanted it to be special and/or magical.  I felt as we got closer to the day most of my plans would be better served on children about 3 years older - they would probably enjoy an unhurried fun day at home most of all.  To make it feel awesome for me and Jase I decided to cook something yummy and different (than our usual that is).  I REALLY wanted to do a seafood buffet (Lobster tails, crab legs, 4 different kids of shrimp, salmon, etc).  I thought that would be a cool tradition to start - (our kids really like sea food) - but after pricing it all out the meal would cost us about $50.00 - we opted to go smaller (but I think next year I am going to budget it into Christmas).  I went with a London Broil, twice baked potatoes, steamed pea pods, and I made two different kinds of onion rings - one from Pioneer Woman and  the other from America's Test Kitchen.  Both were wonderful in their own right and I will make them both again.  Crazily the kids did not like them so I am going to be honest and admit that Jason and I ate that whole platter ourselves - I am not joking.
(Check out that pink in that meat - best London Broil I have ever done)
 
 
I went really really low on the pictures this year.  Not sure why - just living in the moment I guess.  Usually I have a picture of our living room post Santa, pre kids - but I guess I forgot. 
 
Both the girls got books in their stockings.  They grabbed the books, ran them to Jason and asked him to read them -again and again.  They didn't even look in the rest of their stockings or care about the presents.  They just wanted their books read.  I love these girls.
 
Each kid with their favorite present.  Megan - Cinderella Dress, Madison - Baby doll, Brock - race track and football, Noah - football and Lego's
 
 
My sister made them these ADORABLE aprons!  I am so happy.  I attached a hook to their play kitchen and they wear them when they are play cooking.  Madison puts hers on everyday and asks if we can make cookies together - how do you say no to that?
 
They both got new dolls from their Grandma Herbert.  Megan's has brown eyes and Maddies blue.
 
Megan never decided on what she wanted for Christmas (visions of our Halloween costume fiasco were coming back to me).  It was days before Christmas and she still had not asked for anything.  3 days before she finally committed to a blue sparkly Cinderella dress.  Santa had already made something for her and I wasn't too concerned.  But she stuck with it and really wanted it.  I didn't want her to be disappointed so at last minute we were able to contact Santa and he probably got the last Cinderella dress around (read: Jason at Walmart).
 
My mom got them this race track - it has been a hit!  All four love it and love to watch the cars crash and fly!
 
We got a lot of games this year.  Bop -it has been a favorite.  We also got Dominoes, Uno, Jenga, Rack-o, and several others. 
 
Grandma Herbert hooked the boys up with Legos.
 

post disaster picture. 
The family got those telescopes you see in the back.  My mom got the girls some kitchen accessories (you can see them by the telescopes) a toaster, blender, and mixer - Maddie plays with them all day in her kitchen in her apron - SO CUTE.  Brock also got a Rainbow Loom, Noah got more accessories for his Imaginex castle (best birthday present ever), Megan got puzzles, and Maddie got a doctor kit.

Christmas day was so wonderful.  We got invited to a brunch from a family in the ward.  I was unsure about going because I always make aebleskiver's for our Christmas brunch and the kids were already talking about them - but then she said SHE was making aebleskivers!  We ate the most yummy wonderful brunch (buttermilk maple syrup, sausage egg casserole, cinnamon buns, strawberries and whip cream, egg nog, etc)  Several other families were there.  It was really warm here and the kids played outside and jumped on the tramp and the adults played card games.  It was such a nice way to spend a relaxing Christmas morning.  Wish I would have taken my camera.

Then we ALSO got invited to Christmas dinner at another friend's house.  The Birtch's are AMAZING cook and we knew we must be in for a treat - but we had no idea how much.  He made the most amazing prime rib - seriously cooked to perfection - a baby with out teeth could have eaten this thing - it just melted in your mouth!  And Yorkshire pudding - it is like a roll but SO much more delicious.  And for dessert a real Yule Log.  Again - should have taken a picture.  Great company, wonderful food, lots of young children - another perfect wonderful Christmas evening. 

This is at our friends house for dinner (I swear they are all really happy :).
 
We missed our family a lot - but our new friends really made Christmas in Denver feel like home.

No comments: