Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Resolutions

I am a big lister and pretty goal oriented.  For some reason though I am not huge on the new years resolutions thing.  Last year was one of the first years in a long time I made real resolutions.  I just reread the post (read it if you want more in depth look at my psyche).  My resolutions for last year were:
  • Serve more - especially as a family
  • add roasted garlic to everything
  • Organize my house room by room
  • Don't buy stuff
  • start learning and doing sour dough
  • Live in the moment with my children and don't over schedule myself or the kids
How did I do?  We definitely served more - check.  Added roasted garlic to a lot of stuff -check.  Organized my house - check.  Don't buy stuff - does a house count? actually we did really good with this one - we haven't even bought anything FOR our new house, so that is good - I'm gonna say check.  Sour dough - fail.  Didn't even do one singe thing for this one.  As soon as I typed it I never thought about it again.  Live in the moment - can always do better - half check.

So this year?
  • I want to be a better wife.  I was really good at this for the last few years, but I think this last year I got overly focused on the kids and myself.  Sometimes I am too quick with my tongue or sarcasm and say hurtful things.  I don't mean to - and I don't mean it - I just am not thinking.  I want to watch my words.  And I just want to be more endearing - more like a girlfriend -  you know what I mean... right?
  • I want to host something social every week.  Whether its a few moms and kids over for a lunch/playdate or a family over for dinner or dessert.  I want to be one of THOSE families that have people over.  We have never been one of those people and I want to be.
  • PLAY more with my kids.  The older they have gotten the more I have stopped playing with them because.... well... most of the time they all play together.  So I go do something else.  Once a day I want to choose to run around the house and play with them - rather than taking the opportunity to check out for a little bit.
  • Get back in the habit of showering and getting ready before the kids wake up. In the spring I might start running early in the morning.
  • Be the kind of visiting teacher I would want.
  • I am going to stick with not buy stuff.  I am actually going on a spending fast for January.  Minus food.
  • I am going to give the Sour Dough thing another whirl.  Although I am still not 100% committed and if your not 100% committed to sour dough it will fail.  So maybe I will tackle this in a few months.
  • Spiritual:  Read my scriptures everyday.  This year focusing on the Doctrine and covenants.  Pray morning and night.  Go to the temple twice a month.  Read all the lessons for church.  Have me and the kids memorize 2 scriptures a month.
Main goal/change for 2014 - start my own preschool.  Megan will be in a 4 year old and Maddie in a 3 year old.  I have wanted to do it for years and this is the perfect year.  So the planning and prep is from now until August.  And then actually doing it will start in September.  This is going to take up all my "after the kids are in bed" time.  I am really excited!

1 comment:

The Halls said...

Love this! You are so awesome!