Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Friday, June 27, 2014

What fills my cup when I am running on empty

I have been thinking a lot about how I fill my "cup" when I am running on empty - specifically if the things I naturally turn to are effective or ineffective. 

I hadn't given this topic much thought before - and then about 6 months ago I read a post from a blog that I follow and she mentioned that she knows that when she is having a bad day, specifically a bad mothering day, she knows that Facebook doesn't "fill her cup, but instead helps deplete it". 

I think that I thought that taking 10 or 15 minutes to check email, Facebook, and blogs was a good check-out moment or a good pick-me-up, but after her comment I started to really check myself and I noticed that it was true.  Never once when I was feeling overwhelmed or frustrated with my kids or household responsibilities, did I ever feel refreshed after spending 15 minutes or so online.  I enjoyed myself in the process, but it never refreshed me.  So what does?  and what doesn't?  I have been keeping A mental list the last few months, and here is what I figured out.

Fill's my cup:
  • Cleaning something
    • specifically - picking up toys, cleaning off counters, sweeping, or vacuuming
  • Getting everyone dressed, including myself (also make-up and hair done)
  • Brush my teeth - even if I have already done it and it is the middle of the day - it makes me feel refreshed.
  • Making a good lunch just for me to eat
  • Going outside
  • Showering all the kids - it is daunting to think about doing it, but an hour later I feel like the five of us could conquer the world.
  • Drink a big glass of water
  • Going somewhere - just me and my kids.
  • A girls night over at my neighbors house.
  • Doing my morning scripture time.
  • Engage with the kids in some sort of activity where everyone is engaged - but solo (parallel play basically) - like play-dough, coloring, water colors, or building with blocks.
  • Good music

Things I know that don't fill my cup:
  • Getting online
  • Putting shows on for the kids (unless in the beginning I specify the time amount and I use that time to do the above things rather than "checking out".)
  • Eating junk food (unless everyone is napping or sleeping - than a good dessert does my mood wonders.)
  • Going on an outing to meet up with friends or going outside and talking to neighbors while my kids play.
  • Playing a board game with the kids or reading with them (basically cooperative or interactive play) - if I am already frustrated these activities will just exacerbate that.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Thanks for posting this. I will have to keep this in my mind and think of what fills my cup and what doesn't. You are an incredible example, always!!

Janina Herbert said...

Thanks for this post. I needed the reminder :) I'm going to make my own version of this in my journal! Love you

Justin and Ashleigh Smith said...

Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog about my family! I doubted anyone even reads my blog anymore (since I am so hit and miss) so i appreciate your sweet thoughts! We just feel so blessed for such miracles to be working in my family. Thanks for being excited as well. :)

Holly Strong said...

I think it's interesting that you noticed chatting with neighbors isn't a cup filler when you are depleted. Especially since some of these are good things. I think we all too often forget the "when" is just as important as the "what". I've been struggling lately with this stuff. I think I will have to make my own list. Lack of sleep makes me a very "not fun" mom but I also need to learn to "push forward kindly" despite the lack of sleep, patience, etc. Miss you Jamie.