Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Sunday, September 23, 2018

My back to school schedule

As I mentioned in a post last year (when Madison went into 1st grade), I knew I wanted to be intentional with my 7 hours a day with out kids.  I wanted to prioritize things that are important, I also wanted to be available to help people when needed (I HATED as a young mom asking a stay at home mom with no kids at home for help and they were always "too busy" and I swore I wouldn't be that way), and I wanted to get things done so I could be fully present for my kids from 4 -8 (because those hours will KILL you no matter what!).  This year I was even more intentional becasue I realized I was only getting 4 months - and then I would be back in the trenches for the next 7 years or so.  So along with my other goals I also just wanted to ENJOY this time and not over schedule it or burn myself out.  I was SO hoping Jason would have a job by now.  All I ever have really wanted was to get to a place where I could go out to lunch once or twice a week with friends.  I looked forward to the day when all my kids were in school and I would do this.  Years back I would console myself with "this is not the season of my life, I should be at home napping my kids, one day I will be able to do that".  Last year I was able to say, "next year", then once I got pregnant I said, "this fall... I will have 4 months".  And now I can look forward to 2025 - maybe then I can go to lunch :)  Anyways - I say that to show that I wanted to really enjoy these 4 months.  I think I have.  I am half way through and while my project list has been relatively ignored, I have been productive, scheduled, and also perfectly unscheduled.  Here is my rough schedule.

Monday - work out, clean the house
Tuesday - Work out, institute class
Wednesday - temple
Thursday - work out, service/ministering
Friday - work out

I am working out because: 1)I have always worked out during pregnancies, I believe it makes for better deliveries and better "bounce back" and 2)this baby sits right on my pelvic bone and hurts most of the day - but when I do the elliptical he moves up and I can't feel anything - it is the only 20 minutes of the day I get relief.  Monday has remained my cleaning day becasue that is how I was raised.  I am emotionally preparing myself to stop doing Monday cleanings once the baby is born.  When Madison was born I swore I wouldn't "let the house go" - and I didn't.  I stayed on top of it and kept it clean daily and a deep clean on Monday and when she was about 3 months old I realized I had not "chosen the better part" and that I needed to let the house go.  I plan to just know that this time and let things go - PLUS this time I have an army of 5 who are very capable and willing.  So I just need to utilize them. Click for My post about cleaning after Madison

The best thing I have done since Madison went to first grade was go to the temple every week.  There has hardly been a week that I have missed.  I have loved my weekly trips and they have become pivotal to who I am.  I also think that it showed the Lord that I love him and I will use my time wisely with the time he has allotted me.

My daily schedule:
6:15 -Wake up: This is a natural wake-up.  I haven't used an alarm clock is over a decade.  I wake up when either a baby wakes me up or when my body wakes up (and a baby hasn't woken me up in over 6 years).  I wake up every day at 6:15.  When I do wake up I am full of energy and ready for the day.  It has been a wonderful blessing and hope it continues.  The energy lasts until about 1 and then I am dragging myself through the rest of the day.  As soon as I wake up I have to go to the bathroom and eat a bowl of multi-grain Cheerios.

6:45 - wake up kids.  Girls are usually already awake. They are my morning rock stars.  They wake up and get ready and do their jobs with out any prompting from me.  The boys, however, do not do anything unless I am yelling at them.  It sucks.  Noah's showers first while Brock sleeps a little longer while I give him his medicine.  Then Brock showers.

6:45-7:15 - while everyone is getting ready I sit in the hall "supervising" while I read my scriptures.  I went back and forth about if this were a good time or not.  I settled on yes because it provides me with a dedicated time.  I felt sort of bad because it wasn't "quiet and uninterrupted" - but my kids are mostly independent and if I am not sitting in the hall they do nothing but if I am there and say "come on, keep moving" every 5 minutes or so then they get their stuff done.  And I also like the idea of them seeing me start my day, everyday with reading the scriptures. 

7:15 - family scripture study.  For the first time we are reading our scriptures in the morning.  With all of our activities this year there wasn't even one day where we would all be home at night together.  I think we were all a little skeptical at first that it would work.  I didn't want to drag my kids to early morning scripture study - I have negative feelings about children being woken up and forced to read scriptures.  I also didn't want to feel like we were rushing through it or get to school.  So far it has been great.  We do it after everyone is ready - but before we go downstairs for breakfast.  Everyone is awake and attentive and we have yet to feel super rushed.

8:30 - either take kids to school - or more often then not - say "bye" as they ride their bikes to school.  Then I make a second big breakfast (usually has to include eggs) and then go work out or go to the temple.

9:30 - I get home and shower and get ready, then I spend 20 minutes on family history and 20 minutes on either blogging or journal writing.

10:30 - 3:30: I do what ever.  Some days are more scheduled than others.  Some days I have spent the whole day chatting with a friend (literally).  I spend a lot of time on my calling right now (primary presidency) as I am doing the program and some days spend 5 hours on it.  I am blessed to have that time right now. I try to have dinner ready before I go get the kids.  And I often have a snack that I make (muffins, yogurt, granola bars, granola, egg muffins etc) and of course there is errand running and grocery shopping.  I still like to do service for someone once a week - usually it is some form of child care (my way of "giving back")  The last 2 or 3 weeks I have needed a nap in the afternoon.  At 3:30 I either  pick up the kids or they ride home and are home about 3:50.  Then from then to 8 it is usually go go go.  One or two kids always come home sad and angry - so I deal with that.  I sign planners, go through papers and see what home work they have while they eat a snack.  We gave up screen time on week days which has made EVERYTHING better.  We have soccer, piano, activity days, orchestra, cub scouts, scouts, Jason's MBA, homework, dinner, my presidency meetings, and my SAC meetings at various days and times through out the week.  Girls are in bed by 8.  Boys are in bed by 9.  I am in bed between 8 and 10 depending on my energy level.  If nothing else I am in bed by 8 and watch a few shows until I fall asleep.

Rinse and repeat!  Things are pretty easy right now - sometimes I wonder why I wanted to have more kids and throw a wrench in our, other wise, oiled machine.  But it will be worth it.  But I will always remember these years.  I knew they were my "golden years" when I started them and I feel like I have enjoyed them, appreciated them, was intentional with them, and also endured them well.  I am not just looking through rose colored glasses.  There have been days that have driven me to my breaking point - more days, probably, than not - dealing with older kids' problems and emotions is WAY harder than a crying baby or whining toddler (although you could have NEVER convinced me of that 6 years ago!).  I can not even really imagine what life will be like in 2 months or 2 years - but I am excited to see - and I can guarantee it will be great (and really really hard)!

No comments: