One weekend in January I started feeling sick. I woke up Sunday morning with a sore throat but that was it. Monday morning I felt a little achy but nothing big. By Monday about 11:30 am I was dying. I don't think I have ever been that sick. I had a 105 fever, my whole body hurt - like my hair and my teeth hurt. It was horrible. I just cried to even have to sit up. I called about 5 people to see if I could get some help. No one could help me. Jason has his MBA class on Mondays and doesn't get home until 10. Dane was having a hard day too. Probably becasue he knew I wasn't taking good care of him - but he would not nap. He would just cry and cry. We cried together.
I picked up the kids from school and they knew things were bad. I couldn't even talk to them with out crying. I told them I needed their help - they needed to just be big and take care of themselves. They were imminently all in. They insisted they take care of Dane too. I went up to bed and napped (for the first time) and the four of them did everything. Even before I napped Brock made sure I was "set up" in bed. He refilled my water, got me my phone, a box of tissues and a blanket - he turned off the light and shut the door and asked "is there anything else you need?". It was amazing. And Dane was perfectly happy. They fed him bottles, changed diapers, played and even got him to sleep for an hour. They all made and ate dinner, cleaned it up, did homework, cleaned up the house, and went to bed on their own. When the girls went to bed at 8 the boys insisted on staying up with Dane until Jason got home. I was feeling a little guilty about putting all this burden on them - but then I watched them care for Dane and work together and I realized how good this was for them. I think they will always remember it. When he would fuss they would work together to come up with ideas to help him. My heart just melted. They never once complained or anything. Jason didn't get home until 10:30 and the boys took care of Dane and me the whole time. He brought our ministering brother with him and they gave me a blessing. In the night my fever broke and I woke up Tuesday morning almost perfectly well. By Wednesday I was 100% better. I am grateful for my family and the priesthood.

No comments:
Post a Comment