I have been married for over 4 years now - and have pretty much made dinner from scratch every single night. My mom always made us dinner every night - and she always cooked from scratch - but I did not realize how much my mothers cooking habits (and my father's eating habits) rubbed off on me until recently.My father HATES onions. He won't eat anything if it even smells like it has an onion or onion flavoring in it - so - being the good wife that she is, my mom never cooked with onions. There was never an onion in our house or in any food. Naturally I thought I hated onions as well, and always asked for food without onions at restaurants (because that is what my dad did), and for the past four years when a recipe called for an onion I just skipped over it - with out even thinking about it.
Then about a month ago I borrowed 2 recipes from 2 friends. My friend Katrina gave me her yummy fajita recipe and Karli gave me a meatloaf recipe. Both called for onions, and for some reason I thought - maybe I should try it with onions. Since I had never even touched an onion, I had no idea how to pick one out, how to cut it, store it, or what the difference was between the colors. I had to have Katrina explain it to me.
So it has been a month now - and I LOVE onions. I went back through all my recipes to find the ones that really called for them. It has brought me into a whole new level of cooking - I get so excited when I know I am going to make a recipe that calls for onions - and I know it is just going to taste better now. So, sorry dad -but I cook with onions now (but if you come over for dinner I will leave them out).
1 comment:
That is so funny! Interesting how things like that happen. I love the taste of onions but not the texture. So I cook with Onion Powder. I still enjoy food from restaurants and friends' houses (including my own family) that have onions, but I have never actually used one before.
Post a Comment