
It took only a few months into marriage when I realized that most (if not all) of my preconceived notions of what a father/husband/man is or supposed to do came from what my father did. I never really realized what a profound influence he had on me until I started my own family. During this last Fathers Day weekend I have been thinking about my dad and I thought I would share with all of you what a terrific father he was and is.
- He works so hard for our family. I think this would be number one on most peoples list about their fathers - as well it should be, they are supposed to be the providers... right? Well, when it comes to my dad I think it is extra true. When I was growing up my dad worked so hard and sacrificed so much to make sure that we were taken care of - and more importantly, to make sure my mom was home with us. He was working 60, 80, even 90 hour weeks while he was also getting his MBA. For the last 10 years or so my dad has been traveling a lot for work - I never realized what I sacrifice that is until I had to travel a few times for my job - it is exhausting. For the last few years my dad has had some hard times at his company, he is unhappy with his position and with the way the company is being run, nor is he getting the credit he deserves. My level of respect rose dramatically when I considered the fact that my dad maybe didn't like his job, or that it was hard, but he did it because that is what he was supposed to do - I had never considered this growing up.
- He always did what was best for the future. This kind of goes with the category above - but I wanted to put it in it's own because I think it is so great. Soon after my parents got married my mom got pregnant, and then she got pregnant soon after that, and again soon after that. My dad was still in college getting his bachelors, but was also working. In a few years he was a manager at Smiths grocery store, he had great benefits and was making really good money. I think it is really tempting for many young fathers to feel the pressures of having to provide for their new family and to "temporarily" put their education on hold to hurry and make some money, especially when they have a good job. I think my dad could have easily done this and provided great for us for several years - but he didn't. He finished his bachelors and went on to get an MBA. Looking back it would have been almost catastrophic, both financially and emotionally, on the family if he would have given up on his education and just stayed with his seemingly "good job". To me this says a lot about my dad's character and priorities.
- My dad always took time for us. As previously mentioned my dad was very busy while I was growing up - so obviously he wasn't home much - but when he was he always took time for us. My dad got home from work/school and he was in dad mode. I have fond memories of gardening or playing out in the backyard with my dad. I remember that Wednesday's were my dad's day-off and I knew we would play all day. He took me camping, fishing, and hiking. We used to go hiking - just me and him. He always came on our family vacations to Flaming Gorge or to the cabin and always new everything about the outdoors. Looking back I realize how much he had to prioritize our camping to be able to come every year with his busy schedule. Not only all that, but he coached my softball team every year and also many of my brothers and sisters sports. He came to almost every game and many of the practices just to watch and support. He took us all snow skiing several times every winter and fishing in the summers. When I was in the hospital as a child I remember his coming and having lunch with me almost every day. I never remember him really taking time for himself when he got home at nights or on the weekend. Everything was for the family.
- I could always go to my dad for help. My dad and I always seemed to have a special bond - different from my other sisters. I have always felt like I could talk to him. This became extra true and important while I was dating and deciding to marry Jason. It was quite the traumatic experience with the family and there was a lot of drama and hurt feelings. My dad was the only one that I felt understood me, trusted me, and supported me. I will ALWAYS remember the way he treated me and I appreciate it so much. I also always knew I could go to him for gospel help. I remember when I was 16 I was reading the Book of Mormon for the first time and I didn't understand some of the Isaiah chapters in Second Nephi (let's be honest...who does?), the first person that came to my mind to ask was my dad. I remember sitting down with him and going over the chapters. I always knew that my dad served a great mission and always put the Lord first. When Jason and I were very first dating he sat in on one of our family home evenings - my dad was discussing the D&C - mostly section 1. I wasn't really paying attention - I was mostly just trying to get Jason's attention. After it was over Jason told me that I should have listened to my dad because he was saying some great stuff. My dad has always had a strong spirit about him.
- He is such a great grandpa. I really can't over emphasize this enough. Watching my dad with Brock has been one of the greatest blessings. It has opened up a whole new side of my dad that I never saw or recognized before. He is always wanting to play with Brock and even just be around him. He is always wanting Brock to "help him out in the garden" or "go play with the dog together" or "go run an errand with him." If my dad is leaving the house he always says, "Brock come with me." I remember when Brock was like 1 and I was over there feeding him baby food and my dad asked if he could feed him. What? Sure. I did not think my dad would have ever asked that. He is SO FUN with the grand children and really just puts them first as soon as they come over to the house. They all know they can find Grandpa down stairs in his office and that he will give them candy.
Thank you dad for being so great and selfless, you always put the family first, and we never really appreciated it. I love you and hope you had a great fathers day.
1 comment:
Thanks for the beautiful tribute to your dad, that was so neat to read. Hope your all doing great and I love checking in on you on the blog.
Post a Comment