Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Just to talk

When I was in Jr High and High School there was a Snow Shack up the street from my house. This was the gathering place for teenagers during the summer months. This was largely before everyone had cell phones - so if you wanted to find your friends, just chat, or hook up with some new friends, you just had to head up to the Snow Shack and in a few minutes you were bound to find what you were looking for.

The adult equivalent is obviously a bar or a coffee shop. But where do you go if you are Mormon? Tonight after my kids went to sleep I had to to run an errand. It took about 10 minutes, I then found myself just driving around Provo, I wanted to talk to someone, anyone, a friend, a stranger, I didn't care. I pulled into a couple restaurants, but realized that sitting alone at a table would not magically fill this need I had, and it would probably just make me more lonely. I realized I just really needed to find some equivalent to a bar - not like a crazy bar - something like "Cheers" - I actually don't even know if bars like that exist, seeing as I am not cultured in those areas - and if they do, they definitely don't exist in Provo. Well, I obviously didn't go anywhere, seeing as it is now 9:30 and instead of talking to strangers in some bar equivalent, I am blogging - is that the Mormon/housewife equivalent of a bar? Is this how I am socializing? For tonight it is. I pulled back into my apartment complex and it took all the strength I had just to get out of the car and go inside. I really, really, really miss Ashley.

3 comments:

I am Laura said...

get yourself on facebook. I swear I am on there every night because once the kids are in bed and I am all alone I too feel loneliness. I also just joined a game on there where you have an alter life and get to earn money and decorate a house. I feel pathetic that my character in the game talks to more people in a day than I do in real life. It can feel pretty lonely and pathetic being a mom without a dad around very much. call me if you are ever too bored. I am always up for a chat.

Sabrina said...

You should have tried Macey's. Honestly, I always saw someone there I knew. I hope someone will move in close by so you can go over and chat whenever you need to get away for a little while. I am sure it's hard without Ashley there anymore. It sounds like you really are in need of a change of pace. If you ever want to make a 14 hour drive, you are more than welcome here. I know, that's not very comforting, but still, you're invited!

Corinne said...

Yeah, I feel the same way a lot. I too use facebook for that, though no one is ever on anymore, I think the fad is over.