So, one year after we moved in our walls were still completely bare. I had not hung one picture, or put one nail hole, in the whole house. It was pretty depressing. So I decided I was just going to go for it. I was going to hang pictures, shelves, and other sorts of prettiness - seeing as I was sure painting wasn't going to get put back on the list for a few years. So one night I made cut outs for the size of all my frames and shelves and started deciding where I was going to put things.
The very next day my sister called with an amazing offer... to make a long story short... she has a friend with a painting business that is going to paint our house for FREE! That is right free. I was elated. I really feel like it is just a tender mercy from the Lord. Although it is so silly and there are several other things that we are tying to make fit in our tiny budget right now that would serve us much better for free than a painted house (need a new car [tends to happen with number 4], our back yard needs serious help, summer clothes for the boys, etc), but painting is just this pure want that will make me happy. I am thrilled to have it. So for the last two weeks I have been collecting painting samples trying to decide what I liked. I narrowed it down to 3.
I put them on my wall tonight... and I hate all of them! I am so bugged. I don't even kind of like any of them. I feel like I need to throw out my whole color palate and start over - but I don't know where to go from here. And we are supposed to start painting this week. I am trying to go off the same color scheme of a woman in my ward who has the same house design as mine (Mindy) - but I just can't get it right. I obviously have no idea what I am doing.
Then I saw this ladder shelf on Craig's List for $20. I have wanted a black ladder shelf since we moved into this house - but knew I would never buy one (that is how I role) - but through some extra baby sitting money (thanks neighbors) Jason gave me the green light. This was a HUGE deal because I have not bought one thing like this since we have been married. I haven't bought one thing really for the house, me, or the kids that wasn't basically a need - or right on the border line. So to have something so frivolous as a shelf - especially at a time of unemployment - was crazy. I think I smiled for 3 days straight.
Then I got it home - and I don't like it. I actually knew I didn't like it 3 minutes after I bought it. I am so sad. This is my first Craig's List purchase that I have regretted (and I buy EVERYTHING off of Craig's List). So I guess there is always a first. So I am just going to have to resell it.
We are also in the market for a mini-van. My mom watched the kids all day Wednesday so Jason and I could go make the rounds. So depressing - I didn't love any of them. We won't be making any decisions or purchases until summer - so hopefully we will get some clarity soon. If I had to pick one now I guess it would be the Honda Odyssey - but that one has its list of cons as well.
Now I realize I think I just spent the last 5-10 minutes complaining - which is weird because that is not how I feel. I am actually really thrilled with the things happening in our life - but I just don't really like making decisions - and changes all include decisions.
5 comments:
We just painted our house and I had all sorts of samples painted on my walls. I love it now but it was crazy. Have you looked at the GMC Acadias. They seat 8 comfortably. We just got one and love it. It has 5 star safety ratings and is so comfortable. You can also get them with bucket seats on the second row if you only want to seat 7.Just an idea. I hope you are doing great.
painting is funny. You can love a color on the swatch and in the store, but it won't read a way you like in your home. I hear you there! I'm not good at picking colors eithers. On the van... have you looked at the Hyundai Entorage? We have really loved our Hyundai sedan and will be looking at their van as we look for a van this summer too (we're still a 1 car family... looking to upgrade to a 2nd car this year!)
I loved making decisions until I was a Mom - werid. I guess you just realize who and how your decision effect. And at the same time, you can make all the "right" decisions and things can not work out, or all the "wrong" decisions and things are rockin'. Can't one area of life not be part of "the test!"
Best of luck -Karli
I can relate I think. For me it comes from living without extra things, so if we do decide to celebrate by going out to dinner or getting something, I want it to be the most perfect meal or the best use of the money.
Good luck! Hopefully we'll see you soon once Rob doesn't work every evening.
-jill
Decisions are hard. For house colors, may I suggest yellow? I know... yellow. But we just painted three accent walls in our house a gorgeous yellow and we love it! We also lived in a house with really light yellow walls and white trim and it was really cute. I'll give you the name of my color if you want. I MIGHT even have extra. (What an incredible blessing from the Lord, no doubt, by the way!) About the ladder shelf. Those are quite popular right now, I'm sure you could resell it. But my sister in law has one and she has picked up some cute things by and by at sales or DI and it looks darling! You might like it once you start putting things on it. Have I ever told you how excited I am for you! I can't wait for you to have four kids! I think you show a lot of faith and courage by having kids the way you do! It's inspiring, my friend. You've always uplifted me! Love you Jamie!
Post a Comment