Ever seen "Who's Line is it Anyways" with Drew Cary? They give points to the contestants... but the points don't matte or mean anything... and that is what Drew says at the beginning, "Welcome to Who's Line is it Anyways, where the points don't matter."
So it is with our house. I am not sure how it started.. but somewhere along the line I started assigning points to kids for doing certain things. "Good job Brock, 10 points", "Way to go Noah 50 points". The 50 point thing was not necessarily better than the 10 point thing; it was just something I said. After the while the kids grabbed a hold of it and now they REALLY care about these obscure points I give out.
"How many points do I get for that, Mom?" "How many points did Noah get for that?" I always answer them with some random number. It totally cracks me up. The points mean NOTHING. There is no reward at the end of the day. Nothing is tallied or kept track of. But the care so much about these points. Funny thing is they don't care that they don't mean anything. They are not waiting for some award, in fact sometimes they get in fights about it (because I accidently gave Noah more points than Brock) and I tell them the points don't mean anything it is just something I say. And they still have very strong feelings that I TELL them how many points they have.
So funny. Everytime I say in my head, "welcome to the Herbert house.. where the points don't matter."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
:)
Post a Comment