I am grateful for the help I am given from the Lord in seemingly insignificant ways. For me the story of Christ turning water into wine is proof that He cares about the burdens women carry - even when they aren't really heavy - but heavy to us. (This is an Ensign article that teaches this principle beautifully.)
This is a story about one of those times.
Screen time has taken over our life. Not necessarily that they are on it all the time but more that they are asking for it all the time and emotionally obsessed with it. I tried setting up rules, times, and restrictions, but nothing really seemed to satisfy them. One of the problems was that we only have one computer and one tv - and they all wanted to do things at the same time and to rotate through all 4 of them every day was taking hours and it was on my shoulders to make everything "fair". It was a heavy burden that was weighing on me. I knew things were out of control - but I wasn't sure what to do. An obvious solution was to get more "screens" - but we didn't want to do that. I wanted to take a whole month off and have no screens at all (or a whole year off!) - but I knew deep down that wouldn't solve anything. I kept trying to come up with new plans and routines - but everything I came up with seemed to make me feel more overwhelmed and depressed. So I took my petition to the Lord.
On Friday morning in my morning prayers I asked Him to help me to know what to do. "Should I become more controlling and scheduled in our screen time or should I let go and give them more autonomy and independence with it?" I asked. I didn't get an answer right away - I ended my prayer and started my morning scripture study. In the middle of my study my mind saw a clear plan. I grabbed a piece of paper and stared writing what I saw, as I wrote, more details came - after about 5 minutes I had a clear plan that seemed to solve all our problems - and the best part - I felt excited about it - that is when I know it it the Spirit - my mind feels clear (almost like an obvious "why didn't I think of that before") and I get excited. Usually I take new plans to Jason before implementing them - but he was at work and it was still spring break and all the kids were home. I felt so sure about the plan that I went right down stairs and presented it to the kids. Instead of push back - they were excited too. Now we have only been doing it for 3 days - but they have been 3 days of awesomeness! And when Jason came home from work and we told him about it he immediately was on board.
I am so grateful that I get help in this parenting thing from One who knows all and loves me and my children. I realized I don't turn to Him enough. Why didn't I ask Him 2 months ago when things started getting out of control? Why do I try to do it alone? In fairness I am always seeking for His spirit and praying, reading and doing all of those things and asking for help - but in general ways. I need to take more specific problems to Him. I am grateful to know He cares.
**The plan: Each Monday after school they get 7 tokens to use however they want all week (before we had different rules for weekdays and weekends - I threw that out). To use a token they have to be done with their high 5 (get dressed, clean room, make bed, brush teeth, say prayers) and be done with their homework. They can use their token whenever they want on whatever they want (before there were restrictions as to what kind screen time they could have at certain times). Each token represents 40 minutes (two shows or 1 Madden game). You can watch or play with siblings and not use a token - but the one whose token it is is "in charge" about what is being watched or played. (Even though this means "more" screen time per child it is important to me that screen time (especially x-box) remains a social thing and not an isolationist thing). When they are out of tokens they are out. (I am betting (because I know my children) - that they will be out by Sunday which will make our Sunday worship better because of their OWN choices and not by me not allowing it on Sundays). Family Movie Night doesn't count. And (for now) screen time at a friends house doesn't count.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
He really does help for little things. I had a similar experience about teaching Tessa modesty. I appreciate God's help in the specifics.
I love your plan with screen time. We have already implemented "High 5's" and love it. I should've gone out there with Rob just to gleen more parenting ideas. Maybe next time. :) Thanks.
Post a Comment