Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Newborn Thing


Newborns are hard. Let me give you a little background.

Last summer I was at my friend Jess' house. Brock was just a newborn and she was pregnant with her second. Brock was fussy and I was struggling with him trying to soothe him. I looked at Jess and said, "are you ready to do this newborn thing again?", she replied that she was. In my mind I thought, "are you crazy? Who WANTS to do this??"

Then about 6 weeks ago (a week before Noah was born), I was in Sacrament meeting and I was watching a new mom standing in the back struggling to soothe her newborn. I thought to myself "I am so exited for that - I can't wait for Noah to be born and do the whole newborn thing again."
I have come full circle again in thinking, "are you crazy? Who WANTS to do this??"

For my disclaimer - Noah is a good baby, we are very lucky. But no matter how good the baby is, newborns are just hard - especially when you are right in the middle of it. After so many days of no sleep, fussing, non-stop diaper changes, engorgement, and spit-up, everything seems hard. I just wish I knew what he wanted. I felt like I knew what Brock wanted more than this. I just feel like I am grasping at straws trying to figure out Noah - I still don't know if he likes to be swaddled or not, I don't really know what way he likes to be held, or if he likes his binky. He seems to change his preferences everyday. I keep looking foreword to about month 4 or 5 - If I remember right that is when things get fun. But I LOVE having Noah so little - so it is a double edge sword - and there is nothing better than a little newborn cuddled up in your arms. I guess that is why we keeping wanting to do the whole newborn thing over and over again.

7 comments:

Ashlee said...

You poor thing! I LOVE the newborn stage, but know exactly what you mean. Good luck, you'll figure it out soon

Luke and Ali Stewart said...

I am anxious but really nervous at the same time for my little baby boy. I have thought those same things- will i know what he needs, or wants, what he likes, etc?! It is sort of overwhelming but I know that it will all be worth it! You are a good little mommy.

Rosie said...

I'm with you... I'm so exctied for our new little bitty snuggly. I love the newborn stage because they're so tiny and cuddly... I mean how long do they stay cuddely? However, I'm terrified for the no sleep, zombie thing, especially when I'll still be responsible for Allison. And that whole nap when the baby naps thing is out the window if #2 isn't napping during #1's nap time. Point being, I'm excited and terrified all at the same time. At least this time around I won't be headed back to work after the baby comes.

Kacie said...

I'm about to find out all about that! I was excited for the newborn thing but I understand also how each kid is going to be different and that will be crazy. I mean you already learned how to do everything, but you have to relearn everything to match the 2nd child's needs it is crazy!!!

Marin said...

Congratulations!! Yeah I am so happy for you guys! I am so glad that I found your blog! How precious are your two boys!!

Foster Mom said...

AMAEN SISTER!!

the Ernest's said...

Hey girl! Little Noah is adorable! I just spent the last 15 minutes catching up on your little growing family life! Such cute boys! Great birthing story! I think my husband Levi would absolutely freak!! Hopefully I can see you and Katie sometime with the two new additions!!
Amy Ernest