Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Mapleton with the Herberts

So the plan was to spend the first part of our trip (Wedding and Christmas) with my family in Salt Lake and then the last part of the trip in Mapleton with Jason's family and do "Christmas" there (it was the 26th) - and then stay there a couple of days before heading back to Colorado.   But it didn't quite work out the way we intended... I will get to that at the end.

As soon as we got to the house the children found presents waiting for them under the Christmas tree.  They were thrilled to be opening presents again!




There are many wonderful things about being at the Herberts (food) - but one of the best is how relaxing and fun it is.  The kids just play... with everything.   There is always something to do and somewhere to go and someone to be with.  We spent the entire day of the 26 just relaxing around the house while the kids played with their new toys... and all of grandma's toys.

The girls got lots of great books.


Brock got some racing cars that he can paint.



And Noah got, of course, some more legos.





Debby loves to read to her grandchildren... and they love when she reads to them.


Then on Saturday we spent the morning just hanging out and taking it slow.  We put the girls down for a nap and I went to run some errands.  While I was out running errands I became aware of a major storm coming right down the Denver I-70 corridor starting at about 5 am.  I rushed back to the house to verify the information, and sure enough a huge storm was coming and was lasting for then next several days.  We knew that we did not want to get stuck in Grand Junction or Veil... and that with I-70 it was very likely - and Jason had to be back to work by Tuesday - so we couldn't just ride it out.  We made the sad decision to leave right then.  The children were heart broken and I felt so sad that we only got to stay with the Herbert's for barely 24 hours.  But Debby and Randy were so supportive and helped us get the kids ready, all packed up, and dinner in our tummys in under an hour.

Here we are just before we left.

And Randy took some pictures of us driving away.  Isn't their view beautiful?

By the way.... we did  miss the storm... and we did have friends that chose not to leave early that did get stuck.  Phew!

No comments: