I love BYU Women's Conference. It nourishes and refreshes my soul like almost no other thing does. I love everything about it. The classes. The music. The gathering of women. The spring. BYU campus. The women I go with. The service. Eating out. The growth. The spirit. The new ideas.
I have been going to Women's Conference almost every year since I was 18. I missed a few years when I had babies - but even some of those years Jason made every effort to get me there. Once we moved to Colorado I thought I would never go again. In the past I had never actually "gone" to women's conference like most women. I went in the morning and came home after class. This made sense because for the first 7 or so years we lived in Provo and then once we moved to West Jordan we would pack the whole family up and go down to my in-laws in Mapleton and we would spend the weekend there. Jason still took work off and took care of the kids - but I still came home and spent the night. So it never really occurred to me that there was an option for me to fly somewhere, get a hotel, eat out for all my meals, and really "go" to Women's Conference - I still feel like we are much to poor for something so extravagant in my life. After the first year of missing Women's Conference Jason saw how sad I was to miss it and how much I needed my yearly cup filled. He said I could figure out a way to go. Well last year I still couldn't go becasue it fell on the week of Brock's baptism. So this year we planned ahead, Jason got work off, and I went.
I tried to get some people from Denver to come with me, but no one could figure it out with their kids (I am SO SO grateful that Jason was willing to take vacation days so I didn't have to "figure them out"). In the end I was happy that I didn't have anyone to go with. I actually usually go to Women's Conference by myself and like it that way. It is not really a social thing for me - it is all about the classes.
One great thing about Women's Conference this year was flying out to Utah. I had never "traveled" to WC before, so I had never experience that. When I got to my terminal at the Denver airport it was full of women. It didn't take long for us to realize we were all going to WC (it is easy to pick a Mormon out of a crowd). We started talking about where everyone was from (all over CO) and who they were going to WC with and our poor/amazing husbands at home holding down the fort. It was a great way to start off the weekend.
This year was the first year I went and did the service projects at WC. They have them right after the last meeting on Thursday and I was always in a rush to get home to my kids (and usually nursing baby) that I never stayed. This year I had no where to be. It was so wonderful. I only could stay for an hour (I had planned dinner with some friends from high school) - but next year I plan to devote a lot of time there. The spirit is so strong and it felt so good.
As I said earlier I usually go to WC alone but I also said I love the women I go with. My mom has been going to WC for years and years with mostly the same group of women. When I started going I never went "with" them. But would meet up for a lunch or a class here and there. It is wonderful. I love the relationship I have formed with them and the knowledge I get from their stories, insights, and experiences. They are great examples to me and they really make WC wonderful. I went one year when none of them went and it truly was not the same. The "regulars" are my mom, my aunt Jen, my mom's best friend Pat Thomas, and another friend, Jolynn Miles (but sadly she couldn't come this year). We also got a great treat to have my cousin Elisa come for a day - it was so great to spend time with her! She is in such a fun stage of life and it was fun to live vicariously through her.
Sadly one of my favorite things about WC is my notes and coming home and sharing everything I learned with Jason. I just can't wait to get home and talk with him for hours about all of it - those are some of my sweetest memories. But, sadly (again), I left my notebook on the plane ride home!! I have called and emailed and filed a report - but no luck. I was devastated (read: cried several times). I had an action plan of specific revelation I received about things I needed to do - I only remember a few. But maybe that is the point - there are just a few things I actually need to do.
This post wouldn't be complete without a shout out to Jason for making it possible. This is not something I would have done with out him pushing me to do it. I am grateful he knows what I need and always helps me achieve that. I am grateful he likes staying home and doing the "kid thing" - it fills his bucket too. He is a great dad and held down the fort perfectly - he even braided the girls hair for church! He rocks!
No comments:
Post a Comment