An OLD OLD post I just found that never got published or finished. Sure wish I would have finished it. Looking in hind-sight I know where I was going. By the time I had Madison I felt like I knew EXACTLY what I was doing with a new born and didn't sweat the small stuff. By now I learned that everything is a stage and to just roll with the punches and not care too much. I never stressed and often thought "I finally figured this out - too bad she's my last". This was probably written in the summer of 2010.

I feel like now that I have a third child I can actually compare my parenting techniques. All three of my newborns are very different - and I approached them with different parenting techniquies. Brock and Noah both got extremes - so hopefully with Megan I can come more towards the middle. If this were always true I think most people's third child would be perfect. I don't think I am making any sense... here is what I mean.

I feel like now that I have a third child I can actually compare my parenting techniques. All three of my newborns are very different - and I approached them with different parenting techniquies. Brock and Noah both got extremes - so hopefully with Megan I can come more towards the middle. If this were always true I think most people's third child would be perfect. I don't think I am making any sense... here is what I mean.
Brock: I read many parenting books and wanted to do everything "right". I was VERY concerned about "bad habits" and made sure that he didn't have any right from the start. He NEVER ONCE slept in our bed and I never let him "snack" for nursing. He had to eat every three hours and take a whole feeding from both sides, if he didn't he had to wait 3 more hours before he got more, and I NEVER let him fall asleep while nursing. I wouldn't let him fall asleep in a swing or anything like that, because that was a bad habit. After a year of this I realized that babies don't get bad habits and they can be changed easily, and I fussed over nothing.
Noah: After my lessons with Brock I decided to throw all the "bad habit" stuff out the window and do what ever I needed to do to get by. I had a 16 month old and I needed to sleep, so I let Noah do whatever he wanted, when ever he wanted. He nursed, sometimes, but snacked mostly, I nursed him laying down almost all of the time - consequentially we both always fell asleep after one side and he would stay in bed with me and sleep all night.
No comments:
Post a Comment