Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Under construction


When the Provo Tabernacle burned down, I was heartbroken.  I loved that building and had many fond memories of it.  When they announced it would be a temple, I came to love the analogy.  Something that seemed "complete" even sacred and holy, but God wasn't done with it.  He had greater plans.  And those plans started through a fire.  Obviously, the comparison to our family is not lost on me.  What we once thought of as complete and done, wasn't.  God had greater plans for our family (and probably still does).  I am forever grateful Jason and I were humble enough to listen.  If we had not listened, and just stayed 'a tabernacle', we would all still be very happy.  Things would have been fine, even beautiful and glorious.  But this is better.  So much better.  

 

My heart belongs at temple square.  I don't know why.  But my whole being is filled with light and truth whenever I walk onto that holy ground.  Watching them tear it apart has had a very visceral reaction within me.  It feels as if my own heart and soul is being torn at.  I know it will be better, I know it will be worth it.  But what it was before was wonderful, and even though the future design will be better, my heart will always long for the past.

 

When they announced the renovation, I cried.  I was not on board.  I felt sick to my stomach every time I heard about it or saw it.   But then the prophets started talking about it, making analogies, and my heart began to soar.  I had to go.  I had to be there.  I needed to see it.  To feel it.  I needed to be there with my family, my children.  We too are under construction.  We too are being remodeled by Him.  We too were once "done" and are now being renovated.   During this time life is different than it was, or how it could have been.  Our family has kind of been closed.  We have not been able to be as social, helpful, useful, or serviceable as we were or how we wanted to be at this stage of our life.  Things have been hard and sometimes ugly. Sometimes it doesn't look like we are making any progress, and sometimes it looks like we are going backwards.  Sometimes we wonder if it might have been better to stay the way were, you know, it would have been easier.  But we KNOW that if we would have and an earth quake came, it could have broken our foundation.  This is better, so so much better.  We are stronger, more beautiful.  But it will take time, and that is ok.

 

Below are some quotes regarding the Salt Lake Temple renovations and comparing them to our lives that I love.  enjoy.

(also, remember the pain and suffering (from all of us)  that it took to get this picture?  (click for post) And it wasn't the picture I wanted (I wanted it from above so you could see the whole pit in the back ground), and, despite explaining explicitly, the top of the temple wasn't in it.  HOWEVER, everyone is looking.  So... there's that.  Even this picture carries the emotions of the analogy, far better than my 'perfect picture' would have.)



As I contemplate the next four years of the life of this beautiful, noble, exalted, and awe-inspiring Salt Lake Temple, I envision it more as a time of renewal rather than a time of closure! In a similar way, we might ask ourselves, “How could this extensive renewal of the Salt Lake Temple inspire us to undergo our own spiritual renewal, reconstruction, rebirth, revitalization, or restoration?”

 

An introspective look may reveal that we too and our families could benefit from our doing some needed maintenance and renovation work, even a seismic upgrade! We might start such a process by asking:

“What does my foundation look like?”

“What comprises the thick-walled, stable, strong cornerstones that are part of my personal foundation, upon which my testimony rests?”

“What are the foundational elements of my spiritual and emotional character that will allow me and my family to remain steadfast and immovable, even to withstand the earthshaking and tumultuous seismic events that will surely take place in our lives?”

A Good Foundation against the Time to Come

By Elder Gary E. Stevenson

April 2020

 

We are sparing no effort to give this venerable temple, which had become increasingly vulnerable, a foundation that will withstand the forces of nature into the Millennium. In like manner, it is now time that we each implement extraordinary measures—perhaps measures we have never taken before—to strengthen our personal spiritual foundations. Unprecedented times call for unprecedented measures.

So I ask each of you, how firm is your foundation? And what reinforcements to your testimony and understanding of the gospel are needed?

The Temple and Your Spiritual Foundation

By President Russell M. Nelson

Oct 2021

 

As I have watched workers dig out old tree roots, plumbing, wiring, and a leaky fountain, I have thought about the need for each of us to remove, with the Savior’s help, the old debris in our lives…pray to identify the debris you should remove from your life so you can become more worthy.

Welcome Message

By President Russell M. Nelson

April 2021

 

The new home-centered, Church-supported integrated curriculum has the potential to unleash the power of families, as each family follows through conscientiously and carefully to transform their home into a sanctuary of faith. I promise that as you diligently work to remodel your home into a center of gospel learning, over time your Sabbath days will truly be a delight. Your children will be excited to learn and to live the Savior’s teachings, and the influence of the adversary in your life and in your home will decrease. Changes in your family will be dramatic and sustaining.

Becoming Exemplary Latter-day Saints

By President Russell M. Nelson

Oct 2018

 

We should follow the example being given to us by the Salt Lake Temple renovation and take time to evaluate our own spiritual seismic engineering to make sure it is up to date. Periodic self-assessment, coupled with asking the Lord, “What lack I yet?” can help each of us contribute to the building of a finest home.

 

The Savior is the perfect engineer, builder, and interior designer. His project is the perfection and eternal joy of our souls. With His loving help, your soul can be all He wants it to be and you can be the finest version of yourself, prepared to establish and live in a finest home.

The Finest Homes

By Elder L. Whitney Clayton

April 2020



 

1 comment:

Jill T said...

I love this Jaime. I feel like we're going under similar renovations that are exhausting and slow going but I hadn't likened it to the Temple. Thanks for the connection, I love it