Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Fiji - The Beauty of the Island Qamea

Jason and I went to Fiji the last 2 weeks of May.  This year is our "half life" anniversary - meaning we have now been together longer than we were ever alone.  (We met at 16 and are now 32.)  Officially we met on June 5th and started dating on July 29th - but to get the "off season deal" we went in May.  

It you are thinking, "wow - the Herbert's went to Fiji, that is incredibly uncharacteristic of them!" - you are not alone.  This was a hard trip for me to go on.  I don't love traveling and have never really had a strong desire to "see the world".   With out getting too personal - I have an extremely hard time spending money and doing things that seem too awesome.  I guess I feel like life is meant to be suffered through... that is partially sarcastic... but partially true.  I am working on it.  We also skipped a lot of steps going to Fiji - we feel like the Cheesecake Factory is too expensive for us - but for this trip we wanted to go big or go home.  So we went big.  How we decided on Fiji? - well that was all me.  Since I didn't want to go Jason let me choose.  I was having a hard time - nothing seemed worth the trouble.  So I went to a travel agent and told her all my feelings about traveling and what I wanted and (more importantly) what I didn't want - and she said we should go to Fiji.  Boy was she right!!!  It was EXACTLY what I wanted.  It was perfect.  

We were gone for a total of 10 days, and becasue we cross the international dateline, 3 of those we were traveling - so we spent 7 days on the island.  I got my dates mixed up when we booked the trip and we left 2 days before the last day of school - what kind of mom does that?  I was pretty upset with myself.  Needless to say finding babysitting was hard.  After a million revisions we settled on my friend, Krista, watching my kids the last 2 days of school, then my mom flying out to pick up the kids and driving them back to Utah in our car.  Then Jason and I would fly back from Fiji to Utah, pick up the kids, and drive them back.  Well, about an hour before my mom was supposed to leave for her flight she had an accident at work where she got her hand stuck in an industrial iron and it smashed all the ligaments and nerves in her hand.  So my dad flew out later that night and picked up the kids and my AMAZING brothers and sister-in-laws took care of my kids for a week. I am so grateful to all of them.

We went to a tiny island in the North of Fiji, called Qamea (the Q sounds like a G).  It is a little island with only one resort and 7 villages.  The resort was all inclusive (it would have to be - there are no roads, stores, restaurants, or businesses on the island).  They only take 10 couples at a time, the staff is 5 to 1, and there are no kids.  It was beautiful and truly paradise.  This post is just random shots that I took the whole vacation.
Walking around the resort.

A volleyball court

Amazing water and beaches.  Pictures DO NOT do it justice - even the BEST filters could not match the beauty of what we were seeing.

One of the guests at the hotel that we made friends with, Nick, is a professional photographer - so some of these pictures are his (they have his business name at the bottom).  He has a much better eye for shots than I do - and a better camera - and talent.  So his pictures are better.

This is my first picture - pulling up on the island from our boat.

oh - the night sky.  Thousands and thousands of miles away from any real city light - in the middle of the pacific ocean on the other side of the world.  As soon as the sun set you saw the milky way like this...instantly, at like 6 o clock at night.  It was amazing!!















They have orange doves on the island.  This is the only place in the world where they exist.

















Crabs on the beach at night.


This is our private beach.  depending on the tide either these black rocks were covered or exposed.  I LOVED the black rocks - I found them to be so beautiful.  I loved standing on them and having the waves splash over my feet.  I felt like Moana and her grandma!
Here you can see our beach and the black rocks in the ocean - low tide!













These beautiful flowers dropped from the tree's every morning.  The beaches and paths were covered with them













No comments: