Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Fiji - Snorkeling - day 2

The next day we went out on a boat tour of the island that included a snorkeling trip and a BBQ on a beach.  Neither of us had ever snorkeled before.  We had 4 different dives to do.  Apparently Qamea and Taviuni are world famous for their scuba diving - like top 5 in the world.  Almost everyone who was there came JUST FOR the scuba diving.  It was kind of strange that we didn't plan to scuba dive.  I sort of wanted to try it - but I wanted to try snorkeling first (they will certify you there - so I didn't have to decide before the trip).



I was a little nervous getting in at first.  This was my first time in the DEEP ocean.  But it was so beautiful I forgot about that quickly.  Also - I guess it wasn't that deep - we were snorkeling on top of a reef.  We saw and swam with a shark - a few of them.  I would have thought I would be scared and swim right back to the boat - in fact that is what I said I would do.  But I felt strangely calm and peaceful watching them and in fact, followed them for a while.  We also saw some sting rays, a manta ray, and turtles - and of course, lots and lots of fish, crabs, and star fish.

After our first dive however I got very very sea sick.  I get motion sickness very easy and the up and down of the waves did me in.  I missed the second dive and stayed on the boat throwing up over the side - lovely.  I didn't want to miss the third dive, however, becasue it was at a sunken ship.  It was awesome and so beautiful.  By our fourth dive I was acclimated and enjoyed it well enough.  However, I learned that while I am glad I went snorkeling I have not desire to ever do it again or go scuba diving.  






While I loved the beaches, and the reefs - Jason's favorite thing is the deep, wide, blue ocean.  He took these shots.









We stopped on a random beach and had a BBQ.  It was low tide so we had lots of tidal pools to explore. 




This was the best food I think I have ever had in my life.  I hate pasta salad - but I had the BEST pasta salad ever.
This is Moses and Edmund they became our good friends - but I will talk more about them in another post.






No comments: