Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Fiji - getting there

Getting to our island was one of those "planes, trains, and automobile" type experiences.  From our front door to our resort it took about 28 hours of traveling: a car, a bus, 3 planes, and a boat.  First we flew from Colorado to LA.  
We texted this picture to our kids from our first plane.

We spent about 7 hours in the LA airport.  It was pretty intolerable.  Jason spent some time taking weird pictures.




I took a nap.

Then we took a red eye to Fiji.  This plane was so nice.  The flight was 11 hours and I was kind of dreading it - but it wasn't' too bad.  The food was pretty good, they had a lot of good movie and tv selections and I took several Dramamine (so I slept most of it).

When I woke up the sun was just rising and we saw our first islands.  I have never flown over the ocean before and found it truly magical - and to see the islands pop out from the sea like that was breath taking.  I have so many pictures of some things because I was STRICTLY instructed by Megan to take lots of pictures and DETAILED notes about everything I did and saw.



Once we landed in Nandi we took this little tiny guy to Taveuni - this was a 2 hour flight over the ocean.  I have never been on a plane this small and was pretty nervous.  One reason I don't like to travel is that I am always very confident I will die.  (I wrote a letter to each one of my kids entitled "in case I die").  This is how I knew it was going to happen.
We still look ok after 26 hours of travel... right?
I loved flying over Fiji's big island for the first part of the flight - we flew pretty low so we could see the farmers in their fields, and kids walking to school.  During this part of our trip we had a real conversation about moving our family here and living happily off the land.  







Once we got over the ocean the islands were amazing.  We were pretty low and the sun was just right to see all the reefs and islands.  My job from Megan was to find an island just like Moana's island (with a reef all the way around it - and 2 different colors of water).  














Once we got to Taveuni we took a 30 minute car ride to our boat dock and then got on this boat for another 30 minute boat ride to our island Qamea.


This is a picture I took as we pulled up.  They had drinks and breakfast waiting for us.  It was about 10 o clock in the morning.  We decided to power through our jet lag and not crash.  We took our day easy (no activities - well we take a leasurly kayaking trip around the bay that evening) - but we didn't sleep.

No comments: