It is official, after several years of denying Facebook - principles, time, pride, what ever - I had every excuse there was. However, I decided that with the move to Denver it would be a great blessing... and yet still... a necessary evil.
Why I held out so long? I had my reasons in the beginning - most of which I don't really remember anymore. I wasn't totally anti-social media, obviously I have a blog that I really love and enjoy keeping. I knew I wanted all my thoughts on my blog so they could, (ahem) one day, be put into a book. And I didn't want some journal keeping "lost on Facebook". Because let's be honest - it is the day to day record keeping that ends up being the most poignant and entertaining.
For the last 2 years I have resisted Facebook because, honestly, I didn't want another excuse to "check out". The demands my children place on me are never, ever, ending. The precious few moments I get to myself I have another never, ever, ending list of house chores, not to mention my calling, and don't forget the never ending etc's. I know every single mom out there can relate - but right now with ALL my kids being so young - the desire to "check out" is intense. Almost every time I walk past my computer I have to resist the urge to turn it on and check my email, or read some blogs. I already was spending more time on the computer than I wanted, and I just KNEW that if I had Facebook it would be harder and harder to resist the urge to not sit at the computer while my kids watched a show - because if they are going to be watching a show - I should at least be making dinner. For this same reason I have not gotten a smart phone. Because I know myself well enough to know that if I had one I would be on it at the park, Discovery Gateway, Wheeler Farm, etc - but I want to be present at those function - happily WITH my kids - not trying to get an excuse to sit on the bench and be on my phone. I want to be playing with my kids at the park. And before I sound too self righteous - I know that I WOULD because that is what we all want to do most the time - check out. It is so easy, and I just knew Facebook and/or a smart phone would facilitate it too much. Anyways... I digress.
But alas we come to my decision to join Facebook. The reason: I am moving. Plain and simple. Mostly it is to help make friends in Denver and feel connected to the ward. I do not have any members living close to me and I hear the ward stays connected through Facebook. Not to mention the added bonus of staying connected with all of you: my dearest friends and family. Plus the above paragraph is starting to not be true anymore. We new when we had Madison we would be in for a whirlwind for the next year or so. I would say, "we just got to put are head down and plow through". Well, instead of it taking a year... it took two. But I am finally feeling like I can sit for a minute and not be "wasting time" or "throwing things off" or "paying for it later". And while my kids are still close in age (and always will be) they are older now (2,3,4, and 6) if anyone is keeping track :) and more independent and manageable.
But I am taking Facebook slow and simple for now. I may not "friend" you immediately; I will in time. It is nothing personal - I want to be "friends" with everyone - I just don't want to A)be overwhelmed or B) waste too much time right now while I SHOULD be packing, organizing or cleaning. But once I am in Denver I will have 2 kids in school, no friends, and a good 3 hour nap time each day... what will I do with myself???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I have always respected how you are present with your kids and I really have tried to make it part of my life as well because, in part, of your example. Thanks,
J
Post a Comment