Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

I love flower gardening

I have worked for three years on these two beds and I finally have them how I want them - well, now  I am just waiting for some of the ground cover to grow.  Thanks to my mother-in-law I have found a new hobby of flower gardening.  Maybe one day I will segway that into vegetable gardening - but for now I really enjoy flower gardening.
I took these pictures in the morning when nothing was in boom yet - I should try and get a pictures with all of the little flowers have opened up.  I love the ground cover coming up around and in between rocks with patches of rich black dirt in between them.  I thought I planted yellow and purple ice-plant - but once they bloomed i put too many purples close together - next year I might rip some out and move things around - but next year I am supposed to focus on my upper beds.
I also built a sand box in my front yard. It is on one of the "levels" of my rock hill.  I love it.  It fits in perfectly with my personality - a space for my children among my pretty things.  Plus I was really proud of myself for doing it all by myself in one afternoon.  I dug out all the "real dirt", then I dug up the sprinkler pipes and clamped it (I had no idea how to do it - but I talked to the guy at Home Depot and figured it out).  Then I hauled all the sand to fill it from our (overly full) sandbox in the back yard.  THEN I channeled all the energy of my mother-in-law (she is a strong, do-it-yourself woman) and carried that huge red flat rock all the way from the corner of my back yard up to that spot - it was HEAVY and hard - but I did it.  The girls love playing in it while I weed and mess with my beds.
 Next year I am  tackling this bare bed right up against my railing.  I have a vision - but it comes from temple square - which seems like an unrealistic vision.  I want to pull out all that ivy in the corner and put in cascading sweet potato vine with hydrangeas along my porch railing with smaller flowers in front.
Like this-ish



No comments: