I know that is a little dramatic (the title of the post) - but that is kind of how I felt after we got this piano in our home. Like our home was now complete. I played the piano for...oh, I don't know, 5 or so years. I am by no means a piano player - but I can read music and can play very simple songs after a lot of practice.
Noah tried soccer for 2 seasons and decided it wasn't for him. We asked him what he wanted to do, and gave him a very exhaustive list of options. He chose piano. This piano taught us a lot of life lessons in buying pianos and basically how NOT to buy a piano. What happened was a family in our ward was getting rid of it and she offered it to us for free. She said that it was OLD and hadn't been tuned in years - but we could have it if we could move it. I LOVED the look of it and wanted it. But she wasn't kidding - it was old and HEAVY - Jason determined it was too heavy for him to move (even with a bunch of men) - so since it was free we thought we could foot the bill and have a moving company move it. So we paid $125.00 dollars to move this piano into our home. A piano apparently needs to sit in its new home for 2 weeks before it can be tuned. So after 2 weeks the tuning company came out - after about 45 minutes (and $75.00 dollars) we were told the piano is untunable!!! And they left. Now we have spent $200.00 dollars to have.... basically nothing, and now we need to spend another $125.00 to get the piano moved out of our house and taken to the dump. Its crazy - by the end of it we will have spent over 300 dollars to have no piano and start back at square one.
Well, by the time all of this was over we were tired, exhausted, a little embarrassed, and out of money. We have a pretty low bar on most things and Noah really wanted to start his lessons...so we decided to just let him start on a HORRIBLY tuned piano. I have NO ear for music and I can tell its bad. Even Noah after his first lesson said, "why does this song sound weird?" But when all is said and done it is our piano and we love it. One day we will chuck it and find a new one I am sure.
And he is absolutely loving piano. His teacher is a man in his 20's named Derek. He is so cool and that makes Noah think the piano is so cool. He loves to go to his lessons and practices every morning - the first thing he does when he gets up. I love waking up to the sounds of him practicing. I also love sitting down and playing a hymn or two while I am waiting for water to boil or something. I was hoping the other kids would want to take lessons - but so far the others just have other instruments they want to play (mostly the flute) - I don't think we will be doing that anytime soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment