The week after we got home from Fiji we went camping. It was a little crazy - but we actually had camping already booked before we ever thought about Fiji. So we packed up again and went camping for the week.
We have been to this spot for three years in a row now. We love it. It is so beautiful and a perfect location. In years past we have always gone and done other things during the day - but this trip we decided just to stay at the campground and relax. I was interested to see if the kids could keep themselves busy or if they (or I) would get bored. I am happy to say it was a wonderful relaxing camping trip. Everyone kept themselves busy and we spent a lot of time together. Once we pulled into our camp site we never got back in the car until it was time to leave.
The trip wasn't all sunshine and roses though. When we got there the wind was pretty intense. We were setting up 2 tents this time. One for the kids and one for us. Jason got the kids tent set up and while he was setting up our tent a big gust of wind came and broke the kids tent. Now last year our tent broke (it was brand new) - so we got a new tent and now it broke! We don't have good luck with tent's I guess. We wondered what we should do. The kids couldn't all sleep in our tent - could we all sleep in the car? We weren't sure. We decided we would build a fire, roast hot dogs and smores and then go home. The forest ranger heard what had happened and did not want us to leave ("our kids are so cute and happy to be here") - she told us to give her 30 minutes... and then she came back with a tent we could borrow (she called around to all other rangers in the area to find a tent). The kids were thrilled. So after we got the tent set up, and had dinner, it was time for smores!! And then.... we discovered... I forgot the marshmallows!!! Oh the horror!! You would have thought I killed someone. To this day if you ask the kids how camping was they will say, "mom forgot the marshmallows" and the rest of the trip every time I went to get something they would say, "lets hope you didn't for get it" or "you forgot everything". seriously? I don't think I deserved that. Well... being the industrious (and desperate) mom that I am I saw our that the campground next to us was roasting marshmallows so I went and asked if I could have 4 (I offered to trade them with 4 oreos). They said yes, of course, and even came back over about 10 minutes later and gave us a whole bag (they were leaving that night and had brought too many marshmallows - now there's a good mom). So in the end they got all the smores and marshmallows they wanted and YET they all still have a chip in their side about the whole thing.
Did a lot of fishing (never caught anything!)
Jason and I had the best view from our tent.
Right? We slept with it open so we woke up to this!!
My children's joy in camping is that I only bring sugar cereal. They love it - and it makes breakfast super easy.
I made tin foil dinners before we left.
My favorite thing about this camping site is that we are on the edge of a hill that goes down to a valley and then up another hill that has burnt down trees - it is not so beautiful - but the kids can hike and play for miles and we can see them the whole time. It makes them feel so big and adventurous - and yet still safe! Win, Win!
This summer we are reading all the Harry Potter books. So we spent probably 80% of our time having Jason read to us - we read at the lake, around the fire, in the tents, everywhere.
We had planned to camp at least once more this summer - but it didn't happen - our summer kind of got away from us. But that's ok - our camping trip was great (plus we still haven't bought a new tent)





































No comments:
Post a Comment