Title Picture:

I know our top picture is incredibly out of date - but I love it because it captures perfectly my life at one point. So it will stay.

Friday, April 6, 2018

Book of Mormon

We finished The Book of Mormon!!!
It was so exciting (well... I heard anyways, I wasn't even there when they finished!).  We started January 1st 2015.  It took just over 2 years.  Most days we tried to read a chapter, but some days it was only one verse a piece.  On average I would say we read 5 days a week. Some weeks we would hit all 7 - then other weeks were... less.  But we always tried.   When we started Madison and Megan weren't reading and I would read a few words and they would copy what I said, within a month they were both reading.  Brock shot up 3 grade levels with in a month.  We were reading every night in other books - but it wasn't until we were reading The Book of Mormon every night that we saw the blessings.  I know there is a power in this book that can bless every aspect of our life.  I know that it has transformed our lives, our family, and our children's future - and not just spiritually but temporally as well.

When we started my number one goal was for my children to WANT to do it.  I did not want it to be forced, or boring, or negative.  So I just said, "every night at 7:30 I am going to read my Book of Mormon, if you want to come I would love to read it with you".  That seemed to work.  They all showed up.  Some nights someone might be in a bad mood about it and I say "You don't have to read with us - you can leave, no one is forcing you to be here".  Madison chose once to go to bed instead of read. 

The day after we finished the kids wanted to know what we were going to do next.  To their surprise we started it again.  I told them that there are promises given about reading The Book of Mormon everyday and that when you finish you just start again.  Jason and I love the scriptures - they are a huge part of us and we desire deeply for our children to know that and to come to their own testimony and love for the scriptures and of Jesus Christ. 

1 comment:

Jill T said...

Congratulations! I really like your attitude about letting them choose to come, and for starting reading when they were young enough to make that an easy choice for them. I've been feeling like we should start (we just read kid scriptures right now) and I appreciate you sharing what worked for you guys.